Reptile Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`ve taken a deposit on a snake, and the deal at the time was i`d hold her for a week or so until they could organise collection.
Ater a week i mailed asking if anything was sorted, they said it would be another week. Again i mailed asking and was told it would be another couple of weeks. 2 weeks ago i mailed again to find out what was happening as i really need her to go and i was told they`re going to sort is as soon as they can.
I`m still holding her, and no pickup date has yet been arranged. I gave them a deadline of this weekend just gone and they missed it. I`ve been holding her for well over a month now when i was hoping for a quick sale. I am considering readvertising her, as i told the "buyer", but what do i do about the deposit? Return it? Keep it? (bear in mind this is a burm who has eaten the equivalent of the deposit money in the time i`ve been holding her)

What would you do?

·
Registered
25,685 Posts
I try to be ruthless these days, you have to be really or people will just take you for a ride.

If this person has been given ample opportunity to collect it, and the snake has caused you time and money in feeding and housing, and you have lost potential other buyers by saying it's sold, when really, you probably could have sold her to someone else in this time...

I would keep the money and tell them the deal is off. Deposits are usually non refundable and it sounds like you have been reasonable. If you want to give them until next weekend and then say, collect before the weekend or I will be putting her back up for sale and using the deposit towards the food she has eaten, then I don't think most people would call you unreasonable.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
if you are happy you have give them enough time which i think you have keep it as you said it cost that to feed the snake

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
tell them the deals off and dont refund the deposit
im holding a snake for someone and if not collected by the agreed date il readvertise and sell to someone who really wants him

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I try to be ruthless these days, you have to be really or people will just take you for a ride.

If this person has been given ample opportunity to collect it, and the snake has caused you time and money in feeding and housing, and you have lost potential other buyers by saying it's sold, when really, you probably could have sold her to someone else in this time...

I would keep the money and tell them the deal is off. Deposits are usually non refundable and it sounds like you have been reasonable. If you want to give them until next weekend and then say, collect before the weekend or I will be putting her back up for sale and using the deposit towards the food she has eaten, then I don't think most people would call you unreasonable.
Exactly, i`ve turned down a number of people asking about her, and i gave them until this weekend (just gone) to collect before i readvertise, which they haven`t done, just another mail saying they`re trying to organise it.
I`m a patient person but i can`t help feeling a bit trampled on!

·
Registered
27,819 Posts
If you decide to keep the money, make sure you have copies of all communication with the person involved in case they decide you are being less than fair from their point of view... and keep everything in writing.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
id take the deposit money, minus of the cost of food since they passed the original deadline and any other expenses and if it left a bit id offer them to "come and pick it up in cash when you are next free" and let them wait a month.

if yourv spent more than the deposit money on food etc i would tell them they are too late and then send them an invoice for amount outstanding and ask them to pay it within 14 days.
[but wouldnt be bothered about it lol..infact easiest scenario would be for them to ignore it and not email you again]

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sounds like one for Judge Judy!!:lol2:

Keep the money and put it towards the cost of keeping the snake whilst they have been messing you around.

Do keep comms though, just incase you do end up on Judge Judy.:mf_dribble:

Was it a substantial deposit?

·
Registered
9,187 Posts
if i was you i would keep the deposit, and demand more money, as you had to keep her!!! they messed you around a lot, so i think you should be able to have your say

same thing happened to me, bought a snake for a friend, only ment to be keeping it a couple of weeks, 3 months later its still here, tried texting and calling him with no reply. was originally going to be 110 for everything, but now i am going to be charging more as it has cost me a fortune to feed the thing!!! i think i will txt him and say, ill give you one month and then im selling him!!!

lee

(sorry for blabing on only just realised.)

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
It is excessivley annoying whens omeone doesn't pay you or doesn't stick to thier side of the deal.

I would contact them and tell them unless they make payment in full by the end of this week and collect by the end of this week also you will readvertise her and htey will lose thier deposit.

I would also say if they pay in full but can't collect until such a date that you will be charging them a boarding and care fee of a setamount per week - and you won't release the snake until any monies are paid in full.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Sounds like she is messing you about. Email them and tell them you have another week and if she is not colected by then, i will keep the deposit. If you frighten them a bit it might encourage them to pay.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Yep, i agree with everyone else email them and give them x amount of days to collect otherwise the deposit will be lost and the snake re-advertised or if they try and barter for more time, tell them you want the full amount for the snake and you'll charge them per day for snake sitting (food, heating etc)

And as Rayboy stated, keep copies of all correspondance.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
The whole point of a deposit is that its a guarantee that you will pick the item/animal in question up - its collateral for the seller. If you dont pick it up, youve welsched on the deal and therefore forfeit the deposit. If they were refundable, no-one would bother with them! ;)

Other than that, it sounds like a lost cause so I wouldnt personally bother with demanding money for keeping the animal etc. Id just cut my losses and readvertise, and hope I didnt end up with another one.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
If the buyer is who I think it is (PM'd you), they do not have easy access to a computer and use the local library periodically to pick up emails. I am confident that this person will reimburse you with any additional costs you have incurred as a result of their delay in arranging pick up. I have always found her to be extremely fair and honest, albeit a little disorganised!

Of course, if it is not the same person, please ignore the above!!

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
id take the deposit money, minus of the cost of food since they passed the original deadline and any other expenses and if it left a bit id offer them to "come and pick it up in cash when you are next free" and let them wait a month.

if yourv spent more than the deposit money on food etc i would tell them they are too late and then send them an invoice for amount outstanding and ask them to pay it within 14 days.
[but wouldnt be bothered about it lol..infact easiest scenario would be for them to ignore it and not email you again]
That is exactly what I would do.. exactly. I have animals on deposit.. and sometimes it can be for a few months, but that is a deal I arrange before money changes hands.. and I pay for the food etc

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I suppose it all depends upon what WAS agreed when the deposits were taken/paid. I have now had confirmation from Spirit975 that it is the person I thought it was. I know that this person does not pick up emails, PMs on a regular basis but, as previously stated, I believe them to be morally sound and believe that their integrity is beyond question. I am sure that they would reimberse any reasonable costs arising from the delayed completion of the transaction.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts