144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know where i can get a derert horned lizard,

i know of rainforest in leicester so far

thanks

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
these guys are not a starter lizard at all (not calling you novice but just saying)

they will consume so much food that even Zoo's have trouble keeping them alive.

sure they are good to look at, but is it worth paying a shed load of money for something you may not be able to get full enjoyment out of?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I own two of these little ones a male and female and Ive got to say so far fingers crossed after 8 months I have had no issues with them. They are fascinating little things to watch BUT can be quite fragile and skittish.
My two came over from Germany (CB) in a group of 5 and unfortunately the others passed away in the petshop.

After doing shed loads of research on them and studying them - my guys feed very well on small crickets (resembling ants) and small locusts always supplemented with a formic acid powder.

The issues with these guys come with hydration - because we cannot replicate the ants they feed on in the wild, breaking down the harder exoskeleton of crickets/locusts etc can lead to them becoming dehydrated. Thus you have to spray them EVERY SINGLE MORNING. Missing one spraying could be deadly.

Horned Lizards - Horned Lizard Care Sheet a very indepth caresheet.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
I seen a pair for sale in Portsmouth think they were about 550 thought that was reasonable I was tempted.
WHAT £550?

I have seen these once in a pet shop and they were £50 each :lol2:

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
There are different sub species. Some are very cheap but some are extremely expensive. The rarer ones are only seen on the continent generally. The ones over here sell for as low as 30 quid. They're currently on the trade lists so most shops should be able to get them in if you ask.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
There are different sub species. Some are very cheap but some are extremely expensive. The rarer ones are only seen on the continent generally. The ones over here sell for as low as 30 quid. They're currently on the trade lists so most shops should be able to get them in if you ask.
The name that comes to mind is regal horned lizards is what the shop was selling them as I think?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts