Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEY ALL

Im new to keeping lizards and im getting two colard lizards on friday and im looking to build a great habitat for them, i have been serching for ages and have found very little on a desert theme so im looking for inspiration on it and im also looking to include a water feature aswell i know this sounds stupid but there is water in the desert aswell lol anyway this is the details of the vi

4ftL x 2ftW x 3ftH

what i want is some rocks sand water and live plants and soon any ideas will be great and any pics of the same theme would be brill

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
If you have a water feature you're really going to struggle to keep the humidity down... If the humidity is too high in the cage, desert-dwelling species are prone to suffering from respiratory problems...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have a water feature you're really going to struggle to keep the humidity down... If the humidity is too high in the cage, desert-dwelling species are prone to suffering from respiratory problems...

ok cool so ya wouldnt recomend a water feature then do ya have any ideas wat way to set it up so i can get the best out of it and so it looks gd ? or know of anywere i can take a look at some setups of the same theme

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
I'd recommend keeping a small water bowl in there but leaving it at that...

I've got a few photos in my gallery of how I keep my desert vivs; if you search on here for a member called Johelian, she has photos of a fantastic desert setup that she (used to???) have...

Other than that, have a look through google for photos of actual deserts to get an idea of the colours and shapes of rock that you want, along with amount and types of branches etc, and go from there. There are probably some photos in the "habitat" section of the photo gallery on here as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thxs for the tip i have had a look at ur site you seem to know a lot about lizards and as im just starting out with them i want to make sure they have all they need for a long and healty life so anymore pointers would be great and if i can keep in contact with you for more info that would realy help me out and thxs again:2thumb:

·
Viva Le France.
18,842 Posts
I have a desert Viv made for Beardies.

Here's a pic -

There's a thread about it from the early stages in the habitat section.

I wouldn't advise a water feature though. Completely agree with Hades 100%.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that looks mint m8 and ya made it yourself even better that is the sorta thing im looking for and i have took the advice that has been givenand been googlin desert pics and im gona try a rocky desert them for them cause from what i have read that is what they would be more at home in but that pic has started me thinking alot thxs:whistling2:

·
Registered
241 Posts
ive kept and bred collies and you do not need water at all really.
they get there moisture from the food.
just make sure there food aka crix etc are gut loaded and well hydrated fishflakes and rocket if what my live foods get.

just have a bowl about the size of a medium/small exo terra clay

as for viv sizes 4ft length is a must/min and 2 depth tho height isnt so important as there cruddy climbers i had them in a 4lx2wx2h and just had bricks and patio slabs for climbing on. nothing too steep or thin so they wont fall.

mine had 2 platforms bask and cold areas rest was bare bar for water bowl and i somtimes spotted them running on there hind legs around the viv.

send us a pm if your not too sure about anything else to do with these great lil lizards.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Its on your other thread but what the heck heres the same pic of my new collared viv,the old 1 is in for refurb,(making a new fitted background for it)

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
heres an old desert one of mine

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thxs to everyone for giveing me loadsof inspiation im realy looking forward to getting them 2moro fri by the way and dave1984 i will be incontact with ya to get some in info and make sure im doing things right once i get my viv completed i will post a pic of it so ya canall comment on it im going for a red rock desert theme andhave order aload of stuff for it and two diff colours of sand with some cactus and once i get it sorted i thnk i will buy a bigger viv or mae one to the size i want and try the diy side of things but i want to get them settld and work on it ya know and once again thxs alot. : victory:

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I'd recommend keeping a small water bowl in there but leaving it at that...

I've got a few photos in my gallery of how I keep my desert vivs; if you search on here for a member called Johelian, she has photos of a fantastic desert setup that she (used to???) have...

Other than that, have a look through google for photos of actual deserts to get an idea of the colours and shapes of rock that you want, along with amount and types of branches etc, and go from there. There are probably some photos in the "habitat" section of the photo gallery on here as well.
I just saw this lol - youre too kind! :blush: That was our first custom background jobbie, and youre right, we dont have it anymore. I need to start work on a new chuckwalla viv now though so I get to try out some new techniques! :2thumb: Its a bit sad, but Im quite excited!

I would suggest the idea to above - for the chuck and lacerta cages in progress I just looked for pictures of the areas that I wanted to replicate (lava flows and desert areas for the chucks, European countryside for the lacertas). One breeder once told me that the best way to get a good breeding response in a "difficult" species is to look at travel brochures and information about weather patterns etc in order to provide as closely as possible the conditions that these animals would live in.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
I just saw this lol - youre too kind! :blush: That was our first custom background jobbie, and youre right, we dont have it anymore. I need to start work on a new chuckwalla viv now though so I get to try out some new techniques! :2thumb: Its a bit sad, but Im quite excited!
How can you be "too kind" about things like that: Jos Wider World | My Extended Scaly Family

I can't wait to see what you come up with for the chuck's viv - no pressure or anything... :Na_Na_Na_Na:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts