Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just a question sprung to mind.

The viv I'm setting up [I'm hoping] will be all natural, and a replication of the Australian Outback. I want it to be great for my Beardy and a real showcase piece for my living room, I just wondered if anyone on here A] has experience with a desert viv, and any tips on cleaning etc, and B] knows what plants I can use that are safe to be in with a Beardy.

I don't want many, as deserts are normally pretty barren, but I think 1 or 2 types of grasses could look really good, I've been looking around online, but all I can seem to find is a bunch of sites about planting for an indoor desert garden, and a bunch of fake cactus. So I came here in the hope of someone here having some experience with them.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hey all, just a question sprung to mind.

The viv I'm setting up [I'm hoping] will be all natural, and a replication of the Australian Outback. I want it to be great for my Beardy and a real showcase piece for my living room, I just wondered if anyone on here A] has experience with a desert viv, and any tips on cleaning etc, and B] knows what plants I can use that are safe to be in with a Beardy.

I don't want many, as deserts are normally pretty barren, but I think 1 or 2 types of grasses could look really good, I've been looking around online, but all I can seem to find is a bunch of sites about planting for an indoor desert garden, and a bunch of fake cactus. So I came here in the hope of someone here having some experience with them.

Im hoping to do the exact same thing mate so if you could show me some pictures as you go along it would be much appreciated : victory:

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
You're best bet for planting a desert viv, would be to go for dry grasses.

Do a search for HadesDragons on here. He did some incredible beardie vivs with plants and clay floors etc.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
You're best bet for planting a desert viv, would be to go for dry grasses.

Do a search for HadesDragons on here. He did some incredible beardie vivs with plants and clay floors etc.

i would aim for this, if you look at the rough location of your beardie you will find its populated by low vegetation with trees scatted, so grasses, bushes etc, with some medium sized trees.

Have a google for some beardie locations, look at the images there is quite a bit of vegetation most of it looks low though, also take note of the substrate always amazes me i would really like to actually got a feel it to see what it feels like lol, would be cool to replicate maybe when i get mine a bigger viv hmm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.