Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came home from work and one of my bearded dragons has got out of his viv and is nowhere to be seen!!

I have a dog and a cat which have been in the house all day, although may, or may not have been in the same room as the lizards.

They are free to roam the house while I'm in work, so I'm hoping neither have seen him.

WHat I need to know is...

Where is he likely to go?
Is he likely to look for his way back to the viv at some point?

AAAAAARRRRRGH!!!!!!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Firstly get the cat and dog outside.

Secondly, work outwords from the viv looking under everything and up anything it could climb, as above they usually don't go far. There would probably be some obvious carnage if the cat or dog and found it.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Cold dark corners.... seems strange but its like they have an instinct for hide and seek when they get out...

Under cabinets/tv units, stairs, shoe racks...

Anything with a low head height clearance and shaded, tight corners are a favourite.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got like a million things it could hide under. Lets just say I'm a collector of stuff.
And the door was open into my hallway. The understairs part is full of stuff. Jesus Christ this is going to be a mission!

Can't I entice him out with something?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Yep female boa.

Unless he responds very aggressively to the shake of a cricket tub then he probably won't come out.

Shut all doors and work methodically, think lizard safe and warm. Be ultra careful when moving anything as he could be under something. But look closest to viv first.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've heard of people setting up a lamp to try and create a basking spot but I'm unsure how effective this approach would be. You could set a load of locusts loose to tempt him out :D

Seriously just start at the viv and work outwards

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Very likely to have curled up somewhere to sleep too so cant see you luring him out...

At least you wont leave the viv open again anytime soon!
My Corni is big enough that if he could get his claws dow the side of the glass front he would manage to put it open enough to squeeze through, i bought a lock in the end, theyre not expensive and stop any wannabe houdini's

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Slightly worried that he didnt find the lizard!
A day is nothing to a Bearded Dragon. I had a Viper Gecko go missing for about a week. It was found down two flights of stairs under a pair of wellies in perfect health and full of life. It made it for that long even though there are seven dogs, three cats and a hoover cutting about the house.

Other people have had lizards missing for months and find them under floorboards, in cavity walls or even in the neighbour's house. This is a very hardy species and unless the dog or cat gets to it it could be roaming the house for months and survive.

Gavin.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts