Reptile Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my leopard gecko on both a heat mat and a deep heat projector. We upgraded to a deep heat projector and didn’t think there would be any harm in having both. Do you think this okay or should we remove the heat mat?

·
Registered
32,935 Posts
I have my leopard gecko on both a heat mat and a deep heat projector. We upgraded to a deep heat projector and didn’t think there would be any harm in having both. Do you think this okay or should we remove the heat mat?
Remove the heat mat. Leos don't need night heat, they come from Pakistan where it gets freezing cold overnight so turn the DHP off at night. Also, depending on how old it is, leos need a deep, loose substrate to dig & burrow, & a heat mat won't allow for that. If it's a baby it should be on paper towels, but any older than 6 months & it will need a proper substrate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remove the heat mat. Leos don't need night heat, they come from Pakistan where it gets freezing cold overnight so turn the DHP off at night. Also, depending on how old it is, leos need a deep, loose substrate to dig & burrow, & a heat mat won't allow for that. If it's a baby it should be on paper towels, but any older than 6 months & it will need a proper substrate.
I have the heat mat in a vivexotic glass heat mat holder and I use arcadia earth mix arid as the substrate already. The main reason I haven’t removed the heat mat is because the glass holder is pretty damn stuck to the bottom of the vivarium. it has very strong sticky back and I struggled to remove it. I turn the heat mat off at night and reduce the temp of the DHP. I live in Scotland and it gets very cold at night so I reduce the DHP to around 20degrees celsius. Do you think this is okay or am I doing more harm than good but not removing the heat mat? I’m just not sure how to get it out really!

·
Registered
32,935 Posts
I have the heat mat in a vivexotic glass heat mat holder and I use arcadia earth mix arid as the substrate already. The main reason I haven’t removed the heat mat is because the glass holder is pretty damn stuck to the bottom of the vivarium. it has very strong sticky back and I struggled to remove it. I turn the heat mat off at night and reduce the temp of the DHP. I live in Scotland and it gets very cold at night so I reduce the DHP to around 20degrees celsius. Do you think this is okay or am I doing more harm than good but not removing the heat mat? I’m just not sure how to get it out really!
It gets much, much colder than Scotland where leos come from- sub zero some nights! I would recommend turning the mat off permanently if you can't remove it, & turn the DHP off at night.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts