Reptile Forums banner
661 - 680 of 689 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Oh dear!
My 50/50 was probably my favourite snake tbh. I wrote my last post slightly worse for🍺🍺🍺🍺. I just don’t like the possibility that lots of jungles have a deal of diamond gene or that a “pure diamond” is 12-25 jungle that comes from the most humid warm part of country when the diamond comes from the most southern extreme.as I understand it a 50/50 is just kept like a jungle. This means a diamond looking cross treated like a diamond could peg it in brumation. I agree they are beautiful just think this is one of those species that is as good as a pure. Royals retics and all that are generally improved aesthetically. I like the idea of having something that’s still looks like it should be on a rocky outcrop in the bush. Did see a diamond bredli though that could swing me

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
You can’t beat the pure natural beauty of a diamond a sorong gtp or even a grass snake. I have to admit though a 50/50 jungle diamond is generally gorgeous. I’m not at all experienced but I’ve sen some decidedly cack 75%diamind jungle crosses. Problem with diamond hybrids it seems to me is more that brumating a 75 or 88 diamond (believing it’s pure)will result in probs as the more dominant gene lives in a tropical rainforest not a southern extremity As far as visual goes I think diamonds are more responsible for a lot more jungle yellow than people think. The scale tipping is a hybrid thing possibly. Jungles (wild)are gold with big patches and fat stocky heads. Even dull diamonds seem to have defined rosettes and central scale colour not so much tipping. I had an acid yellow and Matt black 50/50 but as nice as it was it would never beat either a pure diamond or pure jungle.
This is a 75% diamond jungle that I regrettably sold. It would've been matt black, if not for the highly reflective irridence he had. And he was 13 or 14 years old when I took that picture. I'd be a happy man if I could find some more like this

·
Registered
220 Posts
My 50% looked like him but more yellow and less markings. Matt is probably the wrong term more silky? The black is noticeably blacker than that of jungle. I saw one nicer than mine in another guys collection and a pair nicer still offered to me once along with a pair of cracking pure diamonds. It was at a time I had even less money than now and had just decided to give up hobby. Regrettable.wish I’d kept and jag and jungle and brbs. No room now wife hates em. Sneak some diamonds into my insulated shed that’s the plan

·
Registered
220 Posts
Those are stunning particularly the first pic. I’ve just got a pair of hatchlings from Europe and am about to pick up a yearling female too. If you manage to breed these next year pls stick me on the list for a single male.
Pics of little male then dad then mom on the clutch.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Baby Clarence the diamond. Same animal as pictured above pre and post shed. Even now changing colour and developing the black outlines around the markings. Now got a trio two siblings and an unrelated female. Anyone out there with any stray baby males I may be interested or if planning breeding next year I’d like another unrelated line male
Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Looks great John. You will never tire at looking at them especially when they are at that age and developing their colour and pattern.

I have had my pair for 11-12 years and even after that time I could not be persuaded to part with them. They have great character and are a joy to keep.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Cheers. Have you managed to produce any or do you plan to. Another unrelated male would be great. Found them very pleasing so far fed every time even fed in my hand and not struck. Only bummer is the recently purchased female has mites(found one yesterday popped the little bugger full of blood) I knew she had been a late feeder and is not as pretty as my other two and underweight so I’m going to have to treat and feed her up . She has bit of longitudinal striping but I’m certain she is pure no carpet like traits I’ve trawled through pics of babies from nsw oz. her mom is white so I’d just hope she looks different to my other two. I’m already giving them night drops and in intend to give very slight cooling more so with the yearling who is now battering the fuzzies.
Told myself I’d be satisfied with just a pair to keep in my outdoor room. As much as I love em I’m already having to control my urges to buy bredli and jags of the classifieds
Addictive!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have had two good clutches from my pair and a few duff ones over the years.

I could pair next year but knowing me I most like will not as I cannot be bothered with the hassle of raising over 20 hatchlings that I then have to re-home. That said I would quite like a holdback.

Best thing I like is they are so low maintenance.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well if you do decide to pair them up I’d be interested in make definitely and possibly a pair. Don’t suppose there is any chance of a coupe of pics of your adults?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Is your female from edwin van Der poel of the Netherlands by any chance? She looks very similar to the mother of my hatchlings (see thumbnail few posts back) with the rosettes being the same colour as the scale spots. This seems to be the case with white specimens The yellow ones seem to have more white or cream rosettes more often. I’m interested in the different bloodlines as there seems so few. The parents of mine are jäger Bremen and Edwin van der poel lines. The parents of the other are Rolf mikkleson(known for whites?) and the sire is listed as scoffield I’m guessing these are the animals bredby think Mike English and sold by the late frank scoffield id like to confirm this as I briefly spoke to frank 10 years+ ago when he offered me hatchlings at 750 which I just couldn’t justify at the time being then more than a fortnights wages. Be interested if any one has info. Also remember speaking to someone in the cotswolds about gosfords but there was some doubt as to purity. I only have pockets of info and although I’ve kept handful of pythons over the years a novice really. Any info opinions welcome

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks your girl looks the spit of mine’s mother maybe she was bought from precision??Most of the images of gosford types online seem to be ridiculously highly coloured they look great but I really like the wild type look seems that one if the few species left that haven’t been improved maybe down to longer maturity and such.hard to resist the colourful ones though link earlier on this thread with reduced pattern animals which are stunning but where does it stop eh.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you ever go to Gosford you will see that is how wild type Gosford diamonds look - stunning with high contrasts of black and yellow. As you will know diamonds have quite a long range and vary throughout. I liked some of the darker ones from Jarvis Bay and onwards to the most Southern end of the range but you are not going to see those in collections over here.

·
Registered
220 Posts
You been to ozand saw these wild?? I get proper buzzed if I find a grass snake mate I’d lose my mind over foreign species. My best was a false smooth snake in menorca not quite as exotic but I do my best to tick the herp box when away

·
Registered
228 Posts
Been there about 8 times over the years. Seen and caught (to photograph and release) many snakes there yet have still to see a wild UK native snake.

Seen wild snakes in pretty much wherever I have travelled yet the UK three elude me. I should one day take a walk down regents canal as at least I will see the UKs invasive Aesculapian snakes there!

·
Registered
10,253 Posts
Been there about 8 times over the years. Seen and caught (to photograph and release) many snakes there yet have still to see a wild UK native snake.

Seen wild snakes in pretty much wherever I have travelled yet the UK three elude me. I should one day take a walk down regents canal as at least I will see the UKs invasive Aesculapian snakes there!
I had a pair that were caught there years ago.
Having also had a pair of CB Aesculapians, the ones from the canal were MUCH bigger.

661 - 680 of 689 Posts