Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little Netherland dwarf bunny gave birth 2 days ago to 2 little bunnies.. I found them half eaten, she'd peeled their skin back on their bellies and their insides were falling out :( Not nice. So I got rid of them and cleaned her cage out to get rid of all traces etc. About 15 hours later, my cousin rang me saying he'd gone round to my house (He's got a key) and there was another baby in the cage, again skin peeled off and dead.

I know it's quite common in rodents, first time Mums kill their young for one reason or another - Is it normal for rabbits too?

I had no idea she was pregnant, it's really sad :(

·
Registered
12,377 Posts
My little Netherland dwarf bunny gave birth 2 days ago to 2 little bunnies.. I found them half eaten, she'd peeled their skin back on their bellies and their insides were falling out :( Not nice. So I got rid of them and cleaned her cage out to get rid of all traces etc. About 15 hours later, my cousin rang me saying he'd gone round to my house (He's got a key) and there was another baby in the cage, again skin peeled off and dead.

I know it's quite common in rodents, first time Mums kill their young for one reason or another - Is it normal for rabbits too?

I had no idea she was pregnant, it's really sad :(

have you had her roaming with a male at any point? did she have a lot of nesting material in with her? it could have been that she didnt have enough stuff to make a nest with, without a nest she might not have felt secure.

on sayin this it might just be that she is a first time mother, rabbits can be like this. one of our rabbits killed her first litter and hid them, it was like she didnt know what they were. second litter though she was a fantastic mother. Some rabbits unfortunately stay crap mothers all their lives. Others are fantastic from the very start

·
Registered
782 Posts
Well she must of been near a male at some point.
Thats sad to hear and quite sick about the peeling bit,but theres afew reasons why they died ect,she could of smelt another animal by weather its a cat/dog or another rabbit ect someone touched them,anythin that causes a different scent sorta thing,i dunno what other causes it cud be from but im sure other people will fill in the rest.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
aww this is sad, I remember when i was young I was bought a guinea pig from pets at home, 2 weeks later when I fed her in the morning there was 3 dead babies 2 half eaten and the other whole but dead, would never of guessed she was pregnant, Maybe too young to be a mum? did you get her recently from a pet store?

·
Registered
20,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a male and female rabbit.. They were left behind when my housemate left about 5-6 weeks ago.

Janice is kept indoors on her own in a cage and Bun (Male) is kept outside in his hutch. On a few occasions, my ex housemate had them out together (I told her not to as Janice is tiny being a dwarf and Bun is a large lop).. So yeah, It wont have been an immaculate conception lol.

Just disappointed that she was a poo mummy :(

·
Registered
966 Posts
O what a shame!
Never had a rabbit do this only a ferret :( and my bunnies had cats and other bunnies near by

·
Registered
6,817 Posts
Just disappointed that she was a poo mummy :(
I don't think this is fair.
If the male was a large bun then it is highly possible the kits were too big and died whilst she was giving birth to them, in which case she would try to eat them.

·
Registered
13,796 Posts
I don't think this is fair.
If the male was a large bun then it is highly possible the kits were too big and died whilst she was giving birth to them, in which case she would try to eat them.
true, plus if they were born dead she would have tried to eat them to get rid of the bodies so as to not attract predators.
prefectly normal for a prey animal like a wabbit.

plus, if your housemate left 5 or 6 weeks ago, she`s gotten pregnant after said housemate left, as rabbits are pregnant for 31 days.

·
Registered
20,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
true, plus if they were born dead she would have tried to eat them to get rid of the bodies so as to not attract predators.
prefectly normal for a prey animal like a wabbit.

plus, if your housemate left 5 or 6 weeks ago, she`s gotten pregnant after said housemate left, as rabbits are pregnant for 31 days.
She's definitely not been with the male since my housemate left as I live on my own so no-one else has got them out.

It's quite possible they were born dead then, as I didn't see any of them alive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts