Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can somebody tell me what i need to work in a rep shop/exotic pet shops?

i'm getting my national insurance number in a few months so that means ill be able to work? and before i try and apply for zoos, id like to work in an exotic pet shop/rep shop? not just a normal pet shop because i'm pretty sure chester zoo don't keep labradors in huge enclosures :lol2:

anywayyyy.. what will i need if i want to work in one of these?

(going to be posting this in the shelled/exotic mams and dwa section too, already posted in the snake section)

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
can somebody tell me what i need to work in a rep shop/exotic pet shops?

i'm getting my national insurance number in a few months so that means ill be able to work? and before i try and apply for zoos, id like to work in an exotic pet shop/rep shop? not just a normal pet shop because i'm pretty sure chester zoo don't keep labradors in huge enclosures :lol2:

anywayyyy.. what will i need if i want to work in one of these?

(going to be posting this in the shelled/exotic mams and dwa section too, already posted in the snake section)
National insurance for 1.
Relevant experience & knowledge, experience in retail and GOOD people skills for a start.
A college degree in animal management always goes down well but not crucial.
Pretty sure to work in a zoo u need to do a zoology course.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
You are going to need to do a City & Guilds in Animal Management eventually but no exotic pet shop will expect you to have this at your age. Start visiting shops now, introduce yourself and ask if they have any part-time work for you. You could even offer to do work experience or an unpaid trial with them to get your foot in the door. Once you have found suitable work, start saving, the qualification costs around £1,600! Contact your local Job Centre or Careers Office and you may be eligible for some funding. If you are very lucky, your employer will pay but they won't be happy if you then run off to Chester Zoo!

Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You need to have great communication skills,
A general knowledge and understanding of reptiles goes along way...
One thing I would say though is go to your local pet/reptile shop and build up a relationship with them, once you and the shop owner are on a friendly level and they dont just wee you as 'another customer' ask if they could offer you a Saturday job or if you could be in for a few hours a week...
You could also try and get your work experience in the shop you want to work in.

If you need to know anything else feel free to send us a pm: victory:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
It's a tough thing to get into, I currently hold animal management quals, a diploma in marine biology and studying for a degree in natural science, eventually heading towards a zoological/herpetological biologist role in the future and I'm struggling to find somewhere to take me on a free work placement. It is possible though, just got to keep trying. It's who you know as much as what you know. Talk to people whilst building towards a recognised qualification and you might be in the right place at the right time to say you'll fill a slot.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Where ever you go you're pretty much going to have to offer to work for nothing. Just to get the experience. So bare that in mind and don't expect too much. Take what you get if you really want to go down that road. Even if it's just sweeping the shop floor.

Good luck

·
Registered
410 Posts
If you were to enrol on an animal management course, offered by PTA Pets Trade Association or depending on where you are based, certain colleges offer it and already have a list of pet shops that have been vetted for suitable for work experience which they expect part of the course is to have actual experience in the pet shop.

Try independent pet shops and you may be able to get your work experience in no time. Most are pleased to take volunteers on as its free help to clean out the vivariums.

Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.