Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can somebody tell me what i need to work in a rep shop/exotic pet shops?

i'm getting my national insurance number in a few months so that means ill be able to work? and before i try and apply for zoos, id like to work in an exotic pet shop/rep shop? not just a normal pet shop because i'm pretty sure chester zoo don't keep labradors in huge enclosures :lol2:

anywayyyy.. what will i need if i want to work in one of these?

(going to be posting this in the dwa section too, already posted in the snake, lizard and shelled section)

·
Registered
699 Posts
If your ambition is to work in a zoo then really you would be better placed getting experience at something like an animal sanctuary or petting zoo which cares for exotics. There's a fair few about.
For zoo work, you will probably need an animal-related qualification as well as experience so you might want to see what the colleges/universities near you can offer - they may even need volunteers as well...I've not been to any pet shops which have 'massive' enclosures so working in one would not be a good representation of what it would be like in a zoo environment.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
There are some really good animal care courses! If you're as lucky as I am to have a college just down the road that offers an animal care course it is 100% worth doing.. the college I go to has a small farm, a wide range of exotics and reptiles and small rodents, oh and fish! You get hands on experience with them handling, cleaning etc.. this is my forth and final year so have 4 yeas experience with just the college animals on my cv plus work experience (which you have to do as part of the course) and having my own animals!

Having an animal care qualification will obviously look better when applying for an animal related job and make you stand out against other people applying for the same job as you who do not have one!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.