18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what the differance is between
the infared spot light and a normal spot light? is one
better for my tort than the other?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Not sure about the infrared light but id stick to an ordinary 60watt spotbulb if i were you.make sure you turn all lights off at night-if you dont already. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yes i turn all his lights of at night, Also i wanted to ask
you was, It gets cold in my house at night so if you say dont
use heat mats will he be ok with the temperature drop after
the lights go out? sorry for so many questions only i really
want to get this right and have him many years..:)

·
Registered
520 Posts
A temp drop is fine,as it would happen in the wild,temps in a normal house are fine overnight. glad to help :razz:

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
Infra red lamps usually come in very high wattages so not suitable for your tortoise unless he is in a hige enclosure with lamp very high up. If you ever do use infra red in outdoor enclosures then go for the clear version and not the red one as torts are attracted to light. You really need to put a thermometer on yout hot spot as it seems you may not be monitoring these temps correctly. It is n ot enough for his background temps to be warm, he needs a hot spot of around 30 degrees at one end of the table. Tortoises need this temps to digest their food. Without it he will not be functioning properly. Why not have a look at various set-ups in the tortsmad photos section or on www.tortosies.net

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you wizzasmum, I was just courious about the infrared, i will
stick to a normal spot light though. Thanks for explaing.

I have a thermometer at one end of his
box its reading 30 degrees but it isnt at the hot spot end, It
is in the dark shaded end of his box. So i should move it to where
the spotlight is?

·
Registered
520 Posts
that temp seems a bit high for the cool end,definatly check the temp of the hot and as it may be considerably hotter which wont be good!

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
At those temps at the shaded end he will quickly dehydrate and possibly form bladder stones. In a little tortoise this is not reversible so he needs to be cooled down ASAP. This is the maximum temp under his hot spot. In the Med he would be hiding underground at these temps to avoid dehydration.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok ive moved his therm, so now his tem is 30 degrees inthe hot spot.
Im really greatfull for the advice, Thank you.

I would like to ask you about his bath time. There are a few
things im not to sure about. One of them being How long do i leave
him in the bath? The other being When is the best time to bath him
without stressing him.

Thanks ladys Its much appreciated.

·
Banned
3,993 Posts
I'm confused now about how the temps can be 30 degrees under the hot spot when they were previously 30 degrees in the shade :( How did they happen to be that hot in the shade. Did you have a heat mat on? Just moving the thermometer to the hots spot does not alter temps in the shade.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh sorry for not explaing what i did..:oops: Ok i had the box longways
against the heater, So i moved his box away cooled his air down
then moved the thermostat to the other side of the box.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm really confused now with this - I did a search for infra red. The shop I got mine from said to get an infra-red heat lamp because I can leave it on in the night and won't disturb him from sleeping. I put it on a timer, anyway the light has now woken him up and he's back out so I can only assume the infra-red idea is rubbish?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Zoe you can get a ceramic heater which is classed as an infra red heater, but it actually gives off no light at all, just heat. But you can also get a red bulb which can be classed as an infra red light.... It can be very confusing!!

If you need heating during the night then the (infra red) ceramic heater is the one to go for, you don't want a bulb that gives off any type of light during the night.

Pet shops have a habit of telling you that you need a buld during the night!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts