Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few Normal Royals, and all look very similar, but one of them is much brighter and cleaner patterned than the others. Is there a reason for some normals being lighter/cleaner than others? If bred with another 'clean' normal, will the chances of having 'clean' offsping increase or is it all random?​

Not really a genetics question, I was really just wondering if anyone else has big variations in the appearance of a normal Royal?

The lighter one in each pic is the 'clean' one i'm talking about.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
they get on my nerves, as far as i am concerned there are about 20 normals lol.. normal, pastel, spider, etc.. none of them seem to be that differnte in colour to me.

·
Registered
14,312 Posts
lol, its pretty easy to tell a pastel from a normal, and a spider from a normal,

but with royals there is a lot of variation with normal royals, patterns, colour, some are dark some are light, some are banded more etc, all still normals,

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
nah i have to be honest, i know a lot more than i did even 6 monthsd back. mainly as we have quite a few royals now

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Yeah i agree with you was just showing some extremes lol,

But yeah you got ya high golds, bandeds etc etc all normals really although some have been proven as hets i think havent they? black backs etc??

·
Registered
14,312 Posts
Yeah i agree with you was just showing some extremes lol,

But yeah you got ya high golds, bandeds etc etc all normals really although some have been proven as hets i think havent they? black backs etc??

yea true black backs are het red axanthic, but there are black back normals that have nothing to do with the red axanthic and are just normals lol

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
there is no difference. It's all down to our obsession with having to own something special. People can't just have a nromal royal like everyone else, it's high gold, high orange, reduced pattern etc etc etc.

Be it common boas, royal pythons or people theres a huge variation and thats all there is to it.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
there is no difference. It's all down to our obsession with having to own something special. People can't just have a nromal royal like everyone else, it's high gold, high orange, reduced pattern etc etc etc.

Be it common boas, royal pythons or people theres a huge variation and thats all there is to it.

Lol ... so there! Is that your final word? :lol2:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
So is there such thing as ''Het markers'' then?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I would just like to say on behalf of we 'obsessional' Royal keepers who just like to have 'something special' and are not content with calling them 'normals'. I have a normal who has no pattern, but is still normal, I have a normal who has the highest, whitest sides, but which is still normal, I have a normal who is almost banded, but is still a normal, a normal who has a 'bullseye' marking but is still a normal, and a bog standard normal who is a normal lol. I also have a Spider morph which looks totally, utterly and nothing like the above 'mere normals'. I bought him coz I liked him and his pattern, same as I bought the others for the same reasons. If I were honest ( and dont tell the Spider this please ) it is the normal reduced pattern I have the softest spot for, and she only cost me £30 :lol2:
We dont all want to have fancy names for our normals, but there is no harm at all in referring to them by their differences ........ is there? : victory:

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
I have a few Normal Royals, and all look very similar, but one of them is much brighter and cleaner patterned than the others. Is there a reason for some normals being lighter/cleaner than others? If bred with another 'clean' normal, will the chances of having 'clean' offsping increase or is it all random?​

Not really a genetics question, I was really just wondering if anyone else has big variations in the appearance of a normal Royal?

The lighter one in each pic is the 'clean' one i'm talking about.
Yup, there's a lot of difference between normals without them being anything other than "normal".

You're quite likely, if you choose another bright clean royal to put to your clean one, to get more clean-looking offspring - given enough time and generations you could PROBABLY selectively breed animals that are better looking, lighter and brighter than the majority of pastels.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Yup, there's a lot of difference between normals without them being anything other than "normal".

You're quite likely, if you choose another bright clean royal to put to your clean one, to get more clean-looking offspring - given enough time and generations you could PROBABLY selectively breed animals that are better looking, lighter and brighter than the majority of pastels.

Well done Ssthisto, you actually answered the original question : victory:

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts
look at it this way, they are the same as a soldiers' uniform, no two are the same, royals have their own DPM - disruptive patterned material - this is to allow them to blend in with the environment and hope fully not get pestered.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
We dont all want to have fancy names for our normals, but there is no harm at all in referring to them by their differences ........ is there? : victory:

I think it can be harmful yes.

How many times do we see people who come on here having overpaid for a normal royal because it's "high gold" "a pastel sibling".

the problem comes when terms that can be used to describe actual GENETIC royals like true blackbacks and bandeds etc. All of thse are genetic traits, but people sell a normal banded looking royal as "banded" when they have no idea if the banding is genetic or not.

I think it leads to confusion and give opportunity for people to take advantage, I mean we even recently had a shop trying to sell normals as pastels on here. If people called a spade a spade instead of having to distinguish their royal from everyone else it wouldn't happen. If pointless terms like "spider sibling" and "pastel sibling" were never used then it would be harder for unscrupulous sellers to take advantage of gaps in knowledge. BAsically the end of people being tricked into paying waaaay over the odds for a normal royal python.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts

How many times do we see people who come on here having overpaid for a normal royal because it's "high gold" "a pastel sibling".

the problem comes when terms that can be used to describe actual GENETIC royals like true blackbacks and bandeds etc. All of thse are genetic traits, but people sell a normal banded looking royal as "banded" when they have no idea if the banding is genetic or not.

I think it leads to confusion and give opportunity for people to take advantage, I mean we even recently had a shop trying to sell normals as pastels on here. If people called a spade a spade instead of having to distinguish their royal from everyone else it wouldn't happen. If pointless terms like "spider sibling" and "pastel sibling" were never used then it would be harder for unscrupulous sellers to take advantage of gaps in knowledge. BAsically the end of people being tricked into paying waaaay over the odds for a normal royal python.
I think the 'Pastel/Spider sibling' issue is a slightly different one. It would be correct to call them that, but only as a matter of interest, and maybe with the knowledge that the Pastel might have been put to the 'best/lightest' normal so the sibling normals may be prettier anyway. As long as the prices are only those of normals no harm done.
As to the normals, similar in as much as those particular traits ( reduced pattern/high gold etc etc ) whilst only being normals, may be ideal for someone's breeding project ( maybe to put to a Spider or Pastel? ) and so referring to them as normal but with certain differences, as long as the price is still in the normals price ranges, seems ok. I personally have never been duped with my 'normals with differences'. I paid modest normal prices and all that the sellers did was say , have you seen this one with bands, or this one with almost no pattern ? They were priced the same as all the other normal stock.
I see your point over people trying to make a swift buck however, but there will always be greedy unscrupulous folks sad to say.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know mine are all normal, not looking for hidden genetics or markers :)
Its odd that there is such a striking difference between normal Royals where sometimes the is so little difference in the appearance of the morphs.

For example, a dull pastel held next to my lighter Royal (Isis) looks similar (You can tell the difference, but they are more similar than Isis and my darker normals) Yet you can get a super Pastel from breeding two pastels, which is amazing :) and an Ivory from breeding 2 yellowbellies (yellowbellys?!)

Also, a lot of the CF babies that have been brought in over the last couple of months look almost yellow, so pretty! Yet the are still Normal. It all depends if you are looking to own a pretty animal or want to breed them or sell them on I suppose.

Genetics has always fascinated me, has anyone else got more pics off differences between their normal Royals?

·
Registered
22,890 Posts

Well, I must admit I object to the use of " {blank} sibling" - because it will make people who do not understand the genetics think that they have a chance of producing those genetics. It's not a Spider Sibling, it's a normal out of a normal/Spider pairing.

On the other hand, a High Gold is whatever someone is happy with - it's no different than selling a grey and red normal cornsnake as a Miami. A High Gold is worth exactly what a buyer is willing to pay for it.

If someone puts in the effort to selectively breed a line of light, bright, clean normals I'm willing to pay a bit more for that - because it'll improve whatever I put them to. Lighter, brighter cleaner pastels? Yes please. Axanthics that don't look like normals at adulthood? Oh yes.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts