Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right firstly I know I am a pain in the backside. But as I am new to this I need some advice. I have two beardies and after seeing an advert on beardies I know I definitely have them.What I wanted advice on was I made an offer on two beardies that were advertised for sale as I never gave it a thought that they weren't beardies, anyways I then asked him if he was measuring from snout to vent and his reply was nose to tail tip! So tell me what do you think! I am now thinking Rankins, I don't want to be sounding nasty but I don't want Rankins I only want beardies. My female is 17inches from nose to tale tip and my male is around about the same! at 4 months old.
Here his his Advert:

The Male:
The male bearded dragon is almost 4 years old and 17 inches. I have had him since he was 1 month old and he is lovely to have, very very tame and can be really playful. He comes with a 3ft by 2ft by 2ft vivarium with all the necessary equipment such as sand, water bowl, log, heat bulb, artificial plants etc. I have until sepetember to sell him so i will not accept silly offers as i want him to go to a caring home.
The female:
The female is very very tame and a bit smaller then the male measuring at 13 inches. She is 3 years old and is a joy to have. She recently has been showing signs of wanting to mate, but unfortunately i do not want babies so my dragons have never been together! The vivarium is measured at 2.5 ft long, 3ft high, 2.5ft deep. This is a ideal size vivarium for the dragons to climb up logs etc. The accessories for this alone are worth well over 100, it includes heat mat (which is never used) logs new lights, plants, calcium powder etc etc. there is lots. Just like the male, i do not need to sell her until September so i can wait for a generous offer.

Cont.. I have to admit though I have to admit I have read somewhere about smaller breeds of beardies??

To be honest I want to get a pair of Giant Beardies!!!

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
I have come to think of the word 'beardy' as a generalisation of all the bearded dragon familly. The most common of which is the inland bearded dragon Pogona Vitticeps, and the Rankins Dragon Pogona Henrilawsoni. The largest bearded dragon is Pogona Barbatus (which is where you get the 'German Giant' - Its a hybrid of Barbatus and Vitticeps. The german giant is a size between the two largest species. Barbatus gets about 3ft long! I keep rankins dragons, one of the smallest beardies. My adults are 11 inches long. (tip to tail) Due to their size, they can be kept in pairs in a 3 ft viv. Whereas with vitticeps, you need at least a four foot viv for just one animal. Male rankins dragons can be kept together too without any fighting. Rankins are just as handleable as beardies and are just as calm if handled regularly.

I also have a clutch of rankins dragons eggs incubating :)

·
Registered
14,312 Posts
Right firstly I know I am a pain in the backside. But as I am new to this I need some advice. I have two beardies and after seeing an advert on beardies I know I definitely have them.What I wanted advice on was I made an offer on two beardies that were advertised for sale as I never gave it a thought that they weren't beardies, anyways I then asked him if he was measuring from snout to vent and his reply was nose to tail tip! So tell me what do you think! I am now thinking Rankins, I don't want to be sounding nasty but I don't want Rankins I only want beardies. My female is 17inches from nose to tale tip and my male is around about the same! at 4 months old.
Here his his Advert:

The Male:
The male bearded dragon is almost 4 years old and 17 inches. I have had him since he was 1 month old and he is lovely to have, very very tame and can be really playful. He comes with a 3ft by 2ft by 2ft vivarium with all the necessary equipment such as sand, water bowl, log, heat bulb, artificial plants etc. I have until sepetember to sell him so i will not accept silly offers as i want him to go to a caring home.
The female:
The female is very very tame and a bit smaller then the male measuring at 13 inches. She is 3 years old and is a joy to have. She recently has been showing signs of wanting to mate, but unfortunately i do not want babies so my dragons have never been together! The vivarium is measured at 2.5 ft long, 3ft high, 2.5ft deep. This is a ideal size vivarium for the dragons to climb up logs etc. The accessories for this alone are worth well over 100, it includes heat mat (which is never used) logs new lights, plants, calcium powder etc etc. there is lots. Just like the male, i do not need to sell her until September so i can wait for a generous offer.

Cont.. I have to admit though I have to admit I have read somewhere about smaller breeds of beardies??

To be honest I want to get a pair of Giant Beardies!!!

to be honest, you can easily tell the difference between rankins and beardeds, so if there are pictures then you can tell, but as above rankins tend to stay around the 8 to 12 inches mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts