Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I've been thinking to myself that some Digital Scales would be quite useful in the Reptile room for weighing the snakes. Went on to ebay and was assaulted by over 4000 products! Can anyone help me narrow down my search? I'm looking for some scales that will preferably weigh neonates and fully grown adults. The snakes I own at the moment will grow to a maximum of 7ft and will not be heavy bodied but I may get a larger fatter snake in the future, if there are scales that can accurately weigh all sizes of snake (probably not Retics or Annies!) and you know about it please let me know!!
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Not sure on any particular model, but people generally do recommend "Salter" scales, as being good quality and not that expensive.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure on any particular model, but people generally do recommend "Salter" scales, as being good quality and not that expensive.
Well, that's narrowed the search down to just under a thousand (which is much better!) Are these scales recommended by Snake keepers or just people in general?

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Well, that's narrowed the search down to just under a thousand (which is much better!) Are these scales recommended by Snake keepers or just people in general?

Reptile keepers, also if you look on the classifieds on here, when someone is selling a snake/lizard/tort etc. They sometimes have pictures of them actually on the weighing scales to prove the weight, 9/10 there Salter scales.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Really depends on how much you want to spend on a pair of scales mate which ultimately determines the quality and precision. You could try postal scales i got a set that went up to 7kg and measure’s in 1g increments also maybe for the larger snakes you might want to try digital hook/hanging scales as it might be easier to bag the snake and weigh it hanging

Schroom’s

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
I got a salter set from argos for a tenner. Work perfectly for weighing the snakes with

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I'll be looking into the Salter scales, they seem reasonably priced, well designed and recommended.
I was thinking about weighing each of my snakes once a month just before a feed, does this sound like the right time to weigh or would it be better after defecation?

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
I always try to weigh after they have been so have the empty weights

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I posted recently with my Tesco find. They only go up to 3kg but for my royal I'm sure they will be spot on :)

Salter Electronic Platform scale - Tesco.Direct

You just missed out on the 20% off kitchen stuff offer they had as I got them for £7.77 delivered :)

G
Cheers mate, I just bought some scales off of ebay. Just got to weigh the snakes now without offending them!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts