Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read alot on this forum that Exo Terra dial gauges are crap, so I want to bin them. I want to get a digital set up, but which ones do you guys use?

Most of you say "get ones off Ebay", so I had a quick look, but how do we know that these digital gauges are accurate too?

I have seen these;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280039000628&fromMakeTrack=true

Which for £8 I will probably just try out. I like the idea of having 2 temp readings both on display, but to my mind, by spending £8 on gauge it isn't going to be very accurate. I have seen simialr situations like this all too often in the car world.

You get what you pay for? Maybe.... Maybe not.....

Opinions please :D

·
Registered
257 Posts
Tony Turbo said:
I have read alot on this forum that Exo Terra dial gauges are crap, so I want to bin them. I want to get a digital set up, but which ones do you guys use?

Most of you say "get ones off Ebay", so I had a quick look, but how do we know that these digital gauges are accurate too?

I have seen these;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280039000628&fromMakeTrack=true

Which for £8 I will probably just try out. I like the idea of having 2 temp readings both on display, but to my mind, by spending £8 on gauge it isn't going to be very accurate. I have seen simialr situations like this all too often in the car world.

You get what you pay for? Maybe.... Maybe not.....

Opinions please :D
i use that one and it very good! have had no problems with it at all and it seems spot on accurate and it seems like a bargain cause i looked it up on google and he is selling it way cheaper than other places.

and monitors direct seem like a good place to buy from. i have bought a few things from them and both times it arrived in like 4 days and im in the republic so you should get it quicker

·
Registered
257 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
I bought loads of those ebay ones... I think they are fantastic.. they got a humidity reading on them too!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies :D

Do you have to put this unit inside the viv?

From what I have seen they seem to have the hygrometer built into the unit. I wanted to avoid having a unit inside the viv. A big white box would look a bit of place in the jungle I have created.

:(

·
Registered
257 Posts
yes you do. it only has one probe. i place the unit on my cold side for the IN reading and the humidity reading and then place the probe under the warm side hide for my OUT reading.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
liam_rokocoko said:
just remember lidl is lidl. i wouldn't really trust them. lidl is great for cheap food but i wouldn't buy other cheap stuff off them
And ebay is ebay :?
I wonder if the ebay ones come with a 5 year manufacturers warranty like the Lidl ones..
I have my 6 up & running & checked, working perfectly & accurately.... :wink:

·
Registered
257 Posts
bribrian said:
liam_rokocoko said:
just remember lidl is lidl. i wouldn't really trust them. lidl is great for cheap food but i wouldn't buy other cheap stuff off them
And ebay is ebay :?
I wonder if the ebay ones come with a 5 year manufacturers warranty like the Lidl ones..
I have my 6 up & running & checked, working perfectly & accurately.... :wink:
im not talking about who is selling it, im talking about the quality of the products that the place sells.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Yeah, thats what i'm talking about too & they work perfectly, all for £2.99 plus a 5 year manufacturers warranty, what more could you ask for... :D
Why spend loads on a Harrods plastic carrier bag to take home your spuds when a Dunnes one will do the same job..... :wink:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
i am going to pop down and get me another of those b & q are charging £10 for them so they must work ok !!!

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
saw a link that maplins have got some for £8.99, dont know what they are like but i was going to get one and try it.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Tad expensive! Ebay ones would have done the job as well and they look slimer.... :?

If you have the in/out reading on he thermometer you can place the out probe inside the viv and leave the big bit outside. I also think the humidity is read from the probe and not the main unit too

·
Registered
257 Posts
the one on ebay is much smaller than it looks in that picture. i was surprized when it arrived how small it was, i think it is even smaller than the one you bought

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I use these ones from Maplin:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=5042&criteria=thermometer&doy=27m10

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=28841&criteria=thermometer&doy=27m10

Although the first one (the small black one) doesn't show both in and out simultaneously, it does have an alarm - you can set the high/low temp range and if it goes outside this an alarm goes off.
It also has a light on the display and is C/F switchable.

The white one displays both in and out at the same time so you can mount the unit at one end of the viv and the probe at the other and see the temps through the glass, but it only reads in celsius.

I've got 4 of the white one and 2 of the black one and both seem to be as accurate as each other compared to a couple of other types of digital and a couple of mercurys.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Bribrian - one thing I've noticed with the white ones - you know the probe has a kind of raised side with a vent?
Well, I taped the probe to a heatmat to get a surface temp, and the temp reading was around 2C less with the raised/vent side down (facing the mat) than with the flat side down - flat side down appeared to be the accurate temp when compared with other thermo's.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts