Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that you best off not getting a digital one! Because they can stick and the temperature display will be frozen. So your viv can get hotter or colder where you think it’s the right temp. Is this true?!?

I don’t really believe this but a lot of my friends do, even though they never had one!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Sounds like rubbish to me.

I use a dual in/out and it works fine.

My only concern is that sometimes it can fluctuate between temps quite a lot. For example it reads 81.1 then after about 5 seconds jumps straight to 81.9. This kinda annoys me since it doen's axactly make it accurate.

Then again I only paid £12 off ebay for it so can hardly expect something straight out of NASA.

As a safeguard I put a proper glass liquid jobbie (liquid crystal is correct name I think) in the warmest part of the viv as a double safeguard.

If you spend more money, say £30 you will probably get a very good one. It should also have humidity too if you can get one.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The ones I have are quite good and I think that they are better than the others you get on the market.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Its the analog ones that are crap but with all things you get what you pay for :D

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I've got 4 types of digital thermo's ranging from £40 jobs to £8.99 from Maplin and mine seem to be about as accurate as each other.

One thing to watch with the min/max ones is that you don't leave the display reading the min or max temp - the display may then appear to be frozen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts