Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace my original thermometers with digital ones, but can only find the in/out ones. Are these the ones everyone uses? And if they are, do you just do an in/out check twice a day, or do you have the sensor permenantly in the viv with the thermostat sensor?

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
just bought combined hygrometre and thermometre two of ebay for 25 quid! i think people do use the in and out probes to measure heat from the hot end and the cool this way you can work out the ambiant temperature and the gradiant.

hope this helps

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
yeah mines in out one for hot end and one for cool end also hydro meter for about 11 quid including p+p off a ebay shop :)

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
iv tried a few different ones and didnt like most, they felt cheap but i got my newest one from cornish crispa for about £20 and its really good. it has a built in hygrometer for measuring humidity and the main body has a suction pad to stick it on the wall, and the probe is long enough to reach the cool end.. just as it should be.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
yer, i used em for hot and cold ends

·
Registered
1 Posts
First ever post!

Hi, my first post!

Just a quick question on the subject of heating and heat regulation..
I recently just the other day saw a combined heating element, fan and digital thermometer combo on Ebay. I didn't really pay that much attention to it that's why I haven't been able to specify what type of heating element was used. (I.e. Matt or lamp etc.)

Just wondered if anybody uses or has used this type of thing in the past?
Any good? Obviously not as the only heat source - just got the idea it may be good for general ambient temperature control.

Cheers

·
Registered
990 Posts
One of my hates is setting and checking the viv temps. You can't put the thermostat probe where you want the heat to be controlled 'cause the snake can cover it and then the temp goes way too high. I usually put the probe in the viv on the back wall about 6" up. I then put the thermometer under the heater and set the basking temp as high as the individual should have. I then set the night time low in the same place. Only problem is my snakes always want to move the thermometer or lay on it. Because I use the microclimate thermostats they don't vary much so I just check every couple of months usually after a feed when the snake doesn't move much. Brumating is definately awkward because temps are more important. But we get there in the end.:grin1:

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replys. I'm starting to replace them now I know what to do with them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts