Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right...as some of you know im going to collect my spider and lemon pastel on saturday....but weve been offered a hypermel and a cinnamon pastel too....

dilema is...got the cash for the lemon and spider....but i gonna have to loan the cash for the other 2...do i get in debt for a few months or do i just go for it?

ive weighed up what i can produce of breeding and its pretty impressive....but....do i go for it?
would you?

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
Personally no. In my opinion its a risky business getting in debt in the hope that you can recoup your money from the breeding. Too many variables in my opinion. Your better off asaving your cash breeding what you've got then invest the money from those into your breeding project that way you will not lose any money. Just my opinion tho. :D

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Question is can you afford the loan and the interest?

If you placing your bets on making the money back on these through breeding its going to be a while before you see any babies you can sell so can you afford the loan in the mean time? and remember your not gauranteed a profit in breeding so can you afford to lose all the money?

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
I am tempted to buy expensive stuff all the time but think if you did get in debt then the worst happens and one of them goes off its food and doesn't get to breeding size for ages then maybe dies. You would be paying back money for it plus whatever interest. You'd be gutted! Much safer to buy with your earnings from your breedings much more satisfying too! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well...its a loan off a family member...so the time is ok and no intrest....plus if it all fell through...its not the end of the world...but i hate lending money off people...its the whole risks thing im worried about...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
also how much would you expect to buy a cinnamon male pastel for?and a hypermel grown on male?

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
if hatchlings then no, if adults i'd do it myself, i often do.. like this weekend for instance lol

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
ah just a few corns here and there :lol:

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
get insurance I suppose that would take some risk out of it. At the end of the day if you were getting a loan to buy a car, the car would be losing money pretty much as soon as you have bought it. At least with the royals there is some chance of making a bit back.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
lnvexotics said:
cornmorphs said:
ah just a few corns here and there :lol:
bloody hundreds then lol!!!
not quite.. a lot of them were for bazza on here, but he had no money once i paid for them, so some will have to be for sale anyway.

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
cornmorphs said:
if hatchlings then no, if adults i'd do it myself, i often do.. like this weekend for instance lol
I see your point there but I dont think I could justify getting myself in debt for my hobby. Well, not in thousands of pounds worth of debt anyway a few hundred quid maybe. How much are we talking here lnv>?

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
I suppose if you are wanting to get into the whole Royal morph thing you gotta take risks to get ahead of the game as their are alot of people who have been doing it a while. If the deals too good to turn down might be worth it :D

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
no i see that andy.. i'm just looking from the making it back point of view.. if it was just a hobby full stop... then NO, i guess there would be no point at all.
i wouldnt buy anything with the intention of not breeding it, well not many times anyway.

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
Me neither to be honest but where did you start? You would of started with a few snakes worth a reasonable amount then built yourself up to where you are now with the expensive morphs that are more sought after. Well I am guessing you did anyway! :D If you had of got a loan all those years ago for the fancy morph that was the best at that time you would of been paying that debt off plus having to buy more stuff to keep up with demand for that new morph. The thing with Royals is their so expensive. If you get where i am coming from lol

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
i have a lot of projects more than anything, people come round and offer me money for stuff that isnt for sale lol,, i give in most times.

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
got any fancy boas? :lol:

I think if I got a loan and bought a Motley boa for about £12,000 then waited to get it to breeding size maybe 3-4 yrs for a female then say she didn't breed that year so were talking 5 yrs before I am likely to see any return I would maybe have paid the loan back plus a good wedge interest before even seeing any possible return. Plus someone else would of beaten me to it by a couple of years and the Motleys would of halved in price! Look at Spider royals I remember seeing them just two years ago for £10,000 now you see them in the USA for £250 and even over here they aren't much.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts