Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know the difference or know if its ok to run different heating sources for eg. a coloured bulb for one tank and a heat mat for anoter tank off of one dimmer stat? i am a bit confused, "say if the snakes were the same and can tollerate the same heat would they both be able to live with the same heat but with an extension plug(socket) from the stat input from two lights? or another way to put it is, can i run more than one viv off the same stat?

·
Registered
350 Posts
No this won't work as you need to have a thermostat probe in each viv. Even if the set ups, heat source and snakes are exactly the same you can't guarentee that the heat will be correct in both vivs.
Your best bet is to buy 2 stats, they seem to be cheapest on ebay. A Habistat dimmer can be bought for approx £25.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
mat stats

Or ya could try buying a twin stat, that way you get 2 sensor probes.

·
Registered
100 Posts
remember as well that each thermostat has a certain wattage starting from as low as 100w for microclimates cheapest model so they will only run up to 100watts anyway its always better to use seperate controls now if your running a low wattage in each tank say 100watts or less your better of just buying two cheap 100watt thermostats costing about 40 pounds for 2, or go for a dual therm that will cost about 50-60 and have to seperate therm probes but will deal with a much higher wattage say around 600

i personally now use these dl2me models which are 600w magic eye thermostats which also automatically drop the night temp by whatever needed and save me adjusting settings and eliminates forgetfullness

if youre intending to upgrade to larger tanks in the future or are forgetfull there brilliant they also have 3 built in alarms that sound if theres a problem, ie heat source failure etc

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
JoeAndGary said:
another way to put it is, can i run more than one viv off the same stat?
Yes. But the heat sources need to be the same type and same wattage, the vivs ideally need to be the same size and the snakes need to jave similar temp requirements.
If you stack the two vivs, and you're using bulbs as heating, the top viv will be a bit warmer than the lower one, so maybe increase the ventilation if it's a problem. If using heat mats there should be a difference of any more than about 1C between the vivs.
Either way you could get around this by having the vivs side by side.

Although some people run 3 or 4 vivs from one stat, personally I wouldn't do it with more than two.
Of course, ideally you'd have one stat per viv, but having two on one stat is better than leaving one uncontrolled.

The twin Habistats aren't dimming stats - they're on/off type so can't really be used with light emitting bulbs.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I run a light & heat mat for the same viv on a dimmer for 2 of my vivs but I dont think I'd do it for seperate ones as only one probe.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Cara said:
I run a light & heat mat for the same viv on a dimmer for 2 of my vivs but I dont think I'd do it for seperate ones as only one probe.
Don't you find the two conflict at all? E.g. if the probe is too close to the mat the light doesn't come on, too far away from the mat (too close to the light) and the mat doesn't heat up?

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
I think you 'can' but you have to be very careful! Monitor the temps closely during all the seasons.

I personally have two 3*2*2ft vivs. They both contain a reptile radiator each and a 20w (i think) heat matt. These are all run from one pulse stat. What I've done is put the sensor over the top of the heat matt. This is then set to max out at 95f, thus the heat matt doesn't get hot enough to burn my snakes (and they are under sections of old carpet taped down so theye is defo no direct contact with the matt). The radiators then run depending on the heat comeing out of the heat matts. Also may be worth adding the heat matts and raditors are on the same side! My temps reach between 82-84f with hot spots no greater than 96f. I don't have any problems.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
mark67123 said:
Cara said:
Don't you find the two conflict at all? E.g. if the probe is too close to the mat the light doesn't come on, too far away from the mat (too close to the light) and the mat doesn't heat up?
No seems to work fine, obviously i keep a close eye on temps etc but the light seems to stay half on and so does the mat, I have temp probe directly on the mat with an alarm that goes off if its too high (it never does) just as a precuation.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Never tried it myself but always assumed (and was told) that it wouldn't work properly - It obviously does though! I suppose it depends on the wattages and how the probe is fixed.
Anyway, cheers for the replies :D

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
well here goes my attempt at bubble bursting :!: :!: :!:

Can be done .... I run a Dim Stat attached to two DIFFERENT heat sources .. ( Ceramic 100w and Light 60w ) Only thing is you really have to carefully monitor temp in the UNproped viv . I probe the BRB ( Ceramic ) running this way for almost a fortnight now ...no issues what so ever .

Certainly the Light dims ( in King viv ) at times but way both viv's are set up it works ...temps are ok ...just really really important you temp probe ( use seperate one ) the viv that does not have Dim probe in it . HTH

Take care

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Another thing to watch when heating two vivs off one stat (when using ceramics in small vivs especially) is not to leave the viv with the probe in open for too long.
The viv could cool down and the stat could boost the heat, possibly overheating the unprobed viv.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
yup have to agree ...better to have in the exact same place ...mines are atop each other ...viv size are 48x18x18 .

Also , like any good keeper should do , you check the viv's daily ...that way you get a heads up to any problem .

Take care

1 - 13 of 13 Posts