Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a thought and it may be a stupid one...if a dimmer probe is a couple of inches from the floor in the middle of a three ft viv and its set at 85deg, when the heat from the hot end gets to the dimmer probe, surely that will then dim the bulb and effect the hot end keeping it at 85 deg ???.....anyone shed any light on this ...scuse the pun..:bash:

·
Registered
890 Posts
I think it means that the temp at the probe will never go above 85, or whatever you set the stat too. Some people stick the probe at the basking site but then the stats only go so high, and not high enough to get the right basking temp. Am I making sense?...lol
It also means that the cool end can overheat as the stat is only controling the basking site.

A good idea, as far as I understand is to put the probe at the cool end, set it to max cool end temp and use bulb wattage to get the basking temps up. Think thats right.

·
Registered
134 Posts
yep

thats what i do, set the probe in the cool end to 80, that way viv will never overheat, this puts warm end at 90 in my viv 3' long then play with the basking point to get to 110 - 115 ish

rob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts