Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been told its OK to use dimmer light switches in the place of a dimmer stat (obv got to be correct watts etc) I'm not using them for that purpose at present but I was thinking for the future when I no doubt will expand my collection, and as dimmer stats etc are prob the most expensive part of the set up (save the viv) I may be able to save myself some cash (and get some extra reps lol). SO:

Has anyone used them instead of stats?
What was your experience with them? Easy to maintain temp etc?

If there is a really good reason for not using them please just say it nicely ok, I don't want some smart-arse saying that I'd be an idiot etc etc I'm not doing it now, I've been told I can & before I do I want to check its OK. OK?!?!

:)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Hiya,

I'm afraid its not okay mate.

The problem with a dimmer switch is that it has no sensor so can't regulate the temperature to account for temp variotions outside the viv.

For example:

You have your dimmer set to half with a 60 watt bulb. So youre emitting around the 30 watt mark which is giving a temp of say 80 degrees F in the viv.
If the temp outside the viv is raised (by central heating, sun light, cooking, or other heat source) the temp in the viv will also raise since the viv now has the external heat increasing, plus the heat from the bulb in the viv.

For it to work corrctly, and to maintain a constant temp you need the heat in the viv to turn down when the heat outside turns up.

This is why you must use a stat buddy.

Just to add:

I did get one from B&Q and wired it up to my viv as a temp measure for 3 days whilst my dimmer stat came. It was a nightmare to keep the temps right. For a start I had to turn the heating completely off in my bedroom to ensure the temp outside the viv stayed as constant as posible. I managed to keep the temp in a range of around 7 degrees F but it was far from ideal and I probably wouldn't even reccomend it as a temporary idea unless you can check on them every couple of hours or its an emergency.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
carl24bpool said:
The problem with a dimmer switch is that it has no sensor so can't regulate the temperature to account for temp variotions outside the viv.
Lol yea thought about that about 10 mins after I posted lol, wont be doing that then :oops: :)

(see thats why we're supposed to ask :))

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I used 2 twin light dimmers for some time.

They are fine if your room is already thermoregulated and you get the right ones.

You have to be carefull as some have quite a high cut off point and they are very sensitive.

You are working in differences of 1 or 2 degrees which is very hard to achieve on a piece of equipment not designed for small changes.

I found that with high wattage heaters like a 300+ watt ceramic plate the cut off was around 75-80 degrees and even a minute twist of the adjuster resulted in an extra 10 degrees.

If you have loads of time you can play around and get the temps right but it is fiddly and at the end of the day if the room temp varies so will your vivs.

You're better off getting a stat, IMO

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the temps in my rooms at home go up and down by about 20 degrees throughout the whole flat (only been there a fews weeks and still can't work out those blo*dy storage heaters!!) so think I'll just stick with my stats, I got a mircoclimate (with INBUILT stat lol) heater for my big boa viv so that frees up a stat anyway so I have a spare anyway :)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I've used them a lot in the past but, obviously, stats are definitely better.

As Reticulatus says, they can work ok if the room temp is stable but if, for instance, you have central heating coming on at different times of the day you've got no chance.

Another thing I found is that they can fail without warning - sometimes switching completely off, but sometimes switching up to max, which wouldn't be good, especially in a small viv.

If you have a long viv and wanted to boost the cool end temps with a low wattage (min 40w) bulb then you could maybe use one.

I've heard of people using them for regulating multiple heat mats in racks - but at the end of the day a pulse prop or dimmer stat will always do the job better and be more reliable.

G

·
if you cant afford proper stats get a house hold heating stat over a dimmer switch as a temporary measure.. and mount it near the spot light/ceramic i have used this in the past in large vivs for burms
but be careful they are cheap and you get what you pay for ..best to use proper kit for all reptiles imo unless you have time as said above to closely monitor the equipement

1 - 7 of 7 Posts