Reptile Forums banner

do you live feed?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alot of "heated" opinions, here but i am wondering, feel free to leave a anon answer but i wanted to know.

i would also like to start a discussion about live feeding, the benifits, and
negatives. this is not me starting an agrument, so if you have overly storng opinions etc, then plz dont turn this into abitching session.

i think that there is no right and wrong, afterall we feed lizards live, and the insects can harm the animal (the extent is negotable), but this is the norm. if wanted to live feed, which i dont, i would. i see it as ntural. i would take precautions to the saftey of the snake, but there still would be a risk, as you know.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
have done when needed.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
If there is no other option i would do it but not regular i would still try other ways.
But if snake was gonna die id do it.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
so passionate she had to tell us twice :)

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i am hoping it doesnt get out of hand, its "one of those" subjects so cant be to sure.

i think there may be some benifit in feeding snakes live, because it would allow it to show natural behavours etc

but obvoiusly the down side being possible injuries.

does anyone know abot the number on injuries that occur in the wild.

do people think it would be safe to feed live in an open room, to give the food item room to run.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I would do as a last resort for a non-feeder that would otherwise die.
I dont see the need when frozen prey is so readily avaliable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is it legal to feed snakes live food in the uk? and what condition do you need? e.g escape route for the mice (that what my friend told me).

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I think everyone knows by now, I have and will again if the circumstances arise with no qualms or guilt etc. I'll do whatever is necessary for my animals. Its what I was prepared for when I began to keep a large number of snakes, with increasing numbers and species, they will all require some assistance feeding and live feeding is one of those methods, therefore I was/am willing to do it if needs must.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Have fed Live to my friends Gaboon's and Rhino Vipers, as they were WC and would not take anything but. This is the only time I would do this. It makes me mad that people do it for a laugh like a lot of the videos seen recently on you tube. Its not big or cleaver to but an animal through suffering for no reason if the snake will readily take frozen, which are generally killed in a more humane way, this could start more arguments lol

·
Registered
641 Posts
What with microwaving mice, mealworms eating your pets and now live feeding, you sure know how to pick your topics lol :razz:

One point you've mentioned is that it's more 'natural'. Your pets aren't in a natural environment. I'm not sure if live feeding would benefit a healthy, regularly feeding snake in any way. If there's no benefit and a minimal risk, then why do it?

Non-feeders is another matter altogether...

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have fed my corn snake live food about 10 years ago when he went off his food for longer than i would have liked but only once he ate fine after that and never needed to since

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
One point you've mentioned is that it's more 'natural'. Your pets aren't in a natural environment.
Exactly. I totally agree with this. I don't understand why people say 'it is what they would do in the wild', they aren't in the wild, they are in a box in your bedroom/living room/spare room etc. Nothing you provide them with will truly be natural. Plus none of the snake we keep would eat lab raised/fancy mice/rats in the wild, so that comment doesn't really make sense.

·
Registered
380 Posts
i get a lot of problem feeders with the rescue and i have and will live feed if the circumstances require, iv had pet mice and rats so i do loose sleep over it sometimes but if its gotta be done.........
feel free to tell me im sick etc... but i will do ANYTHING to save the reps

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What with microwaving mice, mealworms eating your pets and now live feeding, you sure know how to pick your topics lol :razz:

One point you've mentioned is that it's more 'natural'. Your pets aren't in a natural environment. I'm not sure if live feeding would benefit a healthy, regularly feeding snake in any way. If there's no benefit and a minimal risk, then why do it?

Non-feeders is another matter altogether...

im not going to, just wondering what the opinions are surrounding this, other than "NO".

and if others do it often etc.

hass anyone (cornmorphs,scarlette veg, and markhill) actually had a bad expiriance when feeding live.

also, with reps we try to replicate the enviroment as much as possible etc, and feeding is one aspect.

the only changes i would make to my feeding etc, is if i could get y milk to strike etc, but as hes eating theres no issue.

(all are fine after the microwave btw, and i wont be doing this again)

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Is it legal to feed snakes live food in the uk? and what condition do you need? e.g escape route for the mice (that what my friend told me).
as i understand it, it is only illegal if you are doing it for public show, the RSPCA can prosecute for cruelty and its down to you to prove that the snake will only take live and will die without it, they dont need to prove thier argument, you need to prove yours.
Please correct me if i'm mistaken.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
im not going to, just wondering what the opinions are surrounding this, other than "NO".

and if others do it often etc.

hass anyone (cornmorphs,scarlette veg, and markhill) actually had a bad expiriance when feeding live.

also, with reps we try to replicate the enviroment as much as possible etc, and feeding is one aspect.

the only changes i would make to my feeding etc, is if i could get y milk to strike etc, but as hes eating theres no issue.

(all are fine after the microwave btw, and i wont be doing this again)
I've never had to feed live, I only said i would if the need arose and my rep would die without it.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i was sure that its legal if it was done in private, but illegal if done for exibition, i know zoo's cant feed live infront of the public.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts