Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi was just woundering what snakes where diurnal, if any?
cheers all
rob

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
i think quite a few are such most colubrids and meny boids i wouldnt want to risk naming species and sub species but i reckon you can tell by the shape of the pupil in the eye.

vertical slit - nocturnal
rounded - diurnal

why do you want to know?

cass

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Hognoses - or at least they are "crepuscular", I think the term is which means they are most active at dawn and dusk. I can recommend them as nice little snakes as I have a sweet female 3ft adult.

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
Green snakes - Smooth Greens and Rough Greens - are true diurnals who need UVB lighting to thrive.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
was just discussing with my other half why i love snakes so much (7 royals, 2 corns) when she hit me with "you can never see them" so was just woundering what snakes were out in the day for maybe a nice living room set up where the loverly litttle critter was more visible (like bearded dragons)
cheers all
rob

·
Registered
933 Posts
Coachwhips and racers from the states.

A guy who breeds them over there has caught coachwhips basking in full texas midday sun. Body temps over 113!

Mike

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
was just discussing with my other half why i love snakes so much (7 royals, 2 corns) when she hit me with "you can never see them" so was just woundering what snakes were out in the day for maybe a nice living room set up where the loverly litttle critter was more visible (like bearded dragons)
cheers all
rob
well if you want a display snake you could go for a rough green which are insectivoures by the way, or somthing a little larger like a tree boa. i myself am getting a amazon tree boa from the Hamm show in march and am pretty sure that it going to make a stunning and essential pressence in a nice tall natural looking viv. they can be a range of coulors (just google) but are known as being snappy but this is true with all tree boas. back to rough greens i allways thought it would be really awsome to creats a set up that would allow mixed species to live allong side the rough green. these could be anoles small tree frogs and geckos and if you really going for it you could even have tropical fish swimming around in 10'' of water at the bottom. saw it in a magazine once but it looked hard going.

cass

·
Registered
257 Posts
was just discussing with my other half why i love snakes so much (7 royals, 2 corns) when she hit me with "you can never see them"
rob
Quick question rob, do you have lighting set up in the vivarium? If so what kind, wattage etc?

One of the main reasons why people often don't see their snakes in the vivarium is due to the bright lighting,

Consider turning it off for a few days and see if you see more activity.

Reptilekeeping.com

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
i would say a emerald tree boa, even if its sleeping durin the day...its still on show, an look fantastic, although i dont have 1...:lol2:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Hognoses - or at least they are "crepuscular", I think the term is which means they are most active at dawn and dusk. I can recommend them as nice little snakes as I have a sweet female 3ft adult.
i second that,mines always on the move,in the week ive had it ive seen it more than my brazilian rainbow boa in months :lol2:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Fluffy comes in and out of his hides at all times really, he has a red gls bulb 25w in there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts