Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 leopard geckos (actually 4) with tanks spread out all over the living room. I'd love to build a nice enclosure in the corner for all the geckos. The 4th gecko I re-adopted from my parents since they moved to a remote area without access to crickets. I plan to possibly rehome the 4th gecko since I'm not sure what sex it is and combining old geckos I've been told isn't a good idea. Just curious though, I know 2 males cannot be housed together, but does the male lose their sexual drive? He is now 15 years old. Are they still even sexually active at that age? I've been told they are solitary by nature, so he wouldn't enjoy two or three more female tankmates? He's had a Lybra before, he mated with her 14 years ago before I had to spilt them up. Idk, I'm just asking in case.

Well, for now with the info I've received, I plan to re-rehome the 4th gecko in it's own enclosure. Then I plan to build an vivarium enclosure in the corner consisting of two bowfront aquariums with decor going all the way to the ceiling. Eventually I will remove the rest of the wall, so just a vivarium divider between the living room and kitchen about 3-5 feet. I need more help with removing the wall, I'm not sure if it is a supporting wall or if there is a support beam 5" in like the basement. Anyway, here's a pic of the two tanks
nvmnd idk how to upload pics from my device here. oh well :( It's two bowfront tanks, one is 46g (3"×16"×21"high) and the other for the male named Morrison is a 28g at 2"×14"×20. I'm unsure how I will configure them, but I already have the tanks and figure why not? They look good together. I'd love to add the old man Morrison back with other leos, but if he tries to mate with them that's not an option anymore. Anyone know about old lizards?

Presently my two girls are in a 3' tank, so the 46g is actually wider. The two girls (Lybra and Stub) have been in the 33g for 12/13 years together.

I plan to build ramps to make use of vertical space with lounging areas and caves. Here's the other thing, although waterfalls are not part of their natural habitat, I was thinking of adding one. I even thought about having the water fall from one tank to the other. The tank tops will be open most likely and DIY rock wall will dip into the back of the tanks creating a background and tying the tanks into the wall. I plan to build over the stand, so that the tanks look like they are held by rock. I don't have a stand for the smaller bowfront, but I can use whatever I want to hold it, the whatever I chose will have an overlay of fake rock anyway. So is a waterfall a bad idea?

Also, especially if I don't do the waterfall, I want to add a mister, at least on a timer. This I think is a good idea, but just asking in case. Looks like I'll need two if Morrison is still sexually active.

Too bad I can't figure out pictures, I kinda wanted to share my progress and get advice as I go.

I don't want to breed anymore leos, just want a show vivarium in the living room to show off my beautiful geckos.

Any advice?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's my first question.
I plan to use styrofoam covered in grout for ramps, walls, caves and either styrofoam or flat rocks (Or combo) for the substrate. Now when it comes to undertank heaters, do I cover the heater area with styrofoam, or keep it open with a cave covering? Presently I use sand, even calci-sand cuz that's what the LFS sold me years ago. On the plus side, I have never had problems with impacting and believe if your geckos are healthy the risk is minimal, but I'd like to go without sand for the new enclosure or glue a layer sand only. I also have that exoterra burying clay, I could use. Both rocks and clay are reddish in colour, but I'd prefer a whiter sand scape.

Anyway, what material do I place over the undertank heaters besides sand? Do I need a heater in the moist area? As it is right now, I don't even have a moist area, but I spray the tanks down weekly and when they are shedding.

Also do leopard geckos need basking lamps? I don't have them atm, but I keep a 1W red LED on 24/7 for each enclosure. I tend to feed my geckos in the evening before bed.

I also plan to build removable caves for ease of cleaning.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok Hi all :))) My name is Kat I'm happy to be a part of this reptile community. I have owned leopard geckos (even bred them) for more than 10 years. My geckos are old, but in good health, although after discovering this forum and reading, I see I'm incredibly outdated lol.

First off, I found out a sand substrate is good for leopard geckos again. For my new enclosure, I had planned to coat DIY rock structures with sand, but the whole bottom was going to be styrofoam coated with dry-lock. Yuk. I was considering having a sanded area wherever they disintegrate their new poop area, but hadn't considered where the urine goes ultimately.

So now I'm thinking of having a substrate. I also plan to plant this vivarium, I guess with succulent plants or whatever is safe. My geckos don't dig, only once when Lybra covered her eggs at 10 months old, they are on sand right now mixed with flat rock. But are their any thoughts on soil mixed with sand?
I had planned to plant plants in pots with soil previously, but I'm a planted FW tank enthusiast, what if I can grow a big garden? I'm even thinking about a waterfall. Would they prefer still water to drink from?

If I build structures of rock that fit together for cleaning, what should I use as a substrate for my leopard geckos?
Any suggestions before I proceed would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
https://ibb.co/i5XPWc

If it works pls let me know :) It's an inspiration image taken from the internet, not my own pic.
I plan to do this as a ~5ft divider.

Here are the tanks I have to play with and the wall area. Eventually I'd like to open up the rest of the wall, so the rock structure can "tumble down" as in it doesn't have to be a straight cut wall. But that's all planned in the future. Either way, the rock wall will not cut off abruptly.

Here are some more inspiration ideas. I'd prefer to keep the stone colour on the whiter side.... thoughts?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are the tanks I have to play with and the wall area. Eventually I'd like to open up the rest of the wall, so the rock structure can "tumble down" as in it doesn't have to be a straight cut wall. But that's all planned in the future. Either way, the rock wall will not cut off abruptly.
Sorry, I'm new to posting these pics, here are the tanks and area I have to work with

https://ibb.co/j5TEWc
https://ibb.co/mpnrBc

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Hello, welcome to RFUK. With regards to heat & lighting you'd probably be better posting in the Lizard section, I have kept Leo's but it was around 14 years ago so my knowledge is probably out of date :blush:
Your enclosure project sounds interesting, people seem to get good results using expanding foam to create backdrops & terrain. Use the search bar to find the threads on these methods, some of the results are quite spectacular. I normally 'build' hides and platforms using a mixture of natural rocks, slate, cork bark etc.
I can't see why some live plants couldn't be added, just be aware that these can increase the humidity of the enclosure. You're planning on using glass tanks, the lid would need to have ventilation (wooden vivs have vents built into them & glass Exo Terra's have mesh lids and vents at the front to add air flow).
I've got a Chinese Water Dragon, he has live plants and a large pool with a flowing water. High humidity is essential for him but Leo's require less, around 20% - 40% I would think. Again there are some Leo keepers in the Lizard section that could help with the exact details with regards to light, heat & humidity.

Best of luck with the project, it would be great to see your progress with it. : victory:

Reactions: angelcraze

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Dungbug :) I'll keep the thread here just for progress documentation then and ask questions in the lizard section.

Thanks for checking out my project and offering suggestions.

I am about the same as far as outdated goes lol. I removed the basking light years ago and use undertank heaters. I have a red LED on 24/7 for nighttime light. I like the red light as well :) My geckos seem fine with their set up.

I guess a waterfall might not a good idea. I was even considering a full false bottom to fill with water for the waterfall. I was going to seal off the bottom with plastic and lay the sand and soil mix on top, but it might still increase humidity too much? I will DYI a screen top like my current gecko enclosures, or leave it open. What do you think?

Should I copy and paste info to the lizard section? Is it so that ppl see my thread?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I might create my waterfall outside of the enclosures. I read that leos get most of their water intake from food. The babies need high humidity to hatch, but adults don't like a lot of humidity all through the enclosure. I think a waterfall in the tank would be too much. Any thoughts?

And what about a mister? I was thinking of possibly having one on a timer? Or bad idea altogether? I could also do a mister outside of the tank if I wanted, like near the waterfall running down the wall?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I think it may provide too much humidity, if it#s not something they've had for years & not missed having then probably little point in adding it in. For me, I'd have a lid on the enclosure. It'll help maintain ambient temps & humidity more easily. Best of luck with the build, sounds interesting. : victory:

Reactions: angelcraze

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you very much Dungbug. I'm hung up a bit on researching now since so much has changed and changed back again since I got my geckos. Yep, they are old, I think I've decided to try and keep it as similar to their current setup as I can.

Right now, I have flat rocks with sand in between for the substrate. I might go that route again, possibly DIY the new flat rocks. I've always been the artsy type. Either way, I like to keep sand at their bathroom area. It's easy to sift clean and absorbs odors (I guess) my terrariums don't smell. I don't want an odor problem.

My current terrariums are not actually terrariums either. All of them are aquariums, so I need the top open or a screen top.

I've also started to reconsider building ramps and levels. How would I keep the geckos from falling? They love to climb as it is, but nothing is higher than 10 inches. They don't seem to have a concept of uneven terrain. Although when I placed Lybra on my glass coffee table she wouldn't move lol, like she thought she was floating.

Anyway, any thoughts on how I'd keep the geckos from walking off a platform? I can keep them low.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.