Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guyss,

I currently house two juvies about 6 months old. The suspected male is a hell of a lot larger than his sis and is often displaying a rapid head bobbing and a black beard.

The female often just puts her head down and the male lays on top, all very gently and nothing worth seperating as of yet.

They both get on very well but enevitabely i will have to seperate them when they start to mate as i will not have any interbred beardies entering the world as it is worngfull and harmfull to current stable breeds not to mention unfair.

Although they came from the same tank in the store, i was wondering if there is any possibility the vets can do a dna check to make sure they are from the same blood line.

I am currently constructing a new viv to house the female and then i will introduce a new male and female of a different bloodline into the respective tanks when the pair are big and old enough to cope.

How long can i pair the 2 together safely before they start to mate?

You help will be most appreciated

Regards

Chris

·
Registered
849 Posts
Before around 12 months they will definitely not breed, but males should generally not be kept with any other BDs in a tank, as major dominance issues are impossible to see until a major event occurs. The only two BDs id consider keeping in one tank is two females, but even then there can be problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts