Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I KEEP getting mites on my royals but on a very small scale, every few weeks, a mite or two, not too bad but still a real pain.

Anyone that has seen my reptiles knows they are kept very well, so its REALLY disheartening when this keeps happening, i dont know what else to do!

Appreciate some suggestions.

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Have you tried soaking your snake in water as well? This could help.

There are some very good treatments out there. Try The Seapets website, they are very good!

·
Registered
293 Posts
ARDAP is great for getting rid of mites and works the first time you use it,
it can be used even in gravid reptile vivs as long as reptile is removed first.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I used provent a mite the one and only time I had mites. Predatory mites didnt work for me, but this stuff cleared them all. Never had them since.

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
I frontline all snakes and proventamite all enclosures and room if i get an outbreak i then repeat weekly for 2 weeks following as that ensures the cycle is broken as these things only work on live mites not eggs so if use is not continual for a period then eggs will hatch and you get mites again by continued use for a couple of weeks the mites will just die as they hatch.

Rach

·
Registered
20,860 Posts
I use Preventomite or Ardap on small sheets of newspaper as a preventative as well as to get rid of mites. Soak the paper a few inches square with either product then allow to dry thoroughly and place in the viv. It will give protection for up to 6 weeks.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I used P-A-M when mites arrived .... one application on substrate and the carpet surrounding my vivs .... haven't seen any since :D

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
I tried some of these preventative products years back and found it was no good at all, in fact I ended up with a huge mite problem!!!!
I have found that frontline is the only product that has ever cleared mites.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I used Provent A Mite on on my common boas viv and found it wiped out the mites with ease. And Im not just saying that because im selling it lol. I didnt fancy trying frontline because I remember hearing it could kill a young snake.

·
Registered
837 Posts
What is adrap is that similar to pam?

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
I used Provent A Mite on on my common boas viv and found it wiped out the mites with ease. And Im not just saying that because im selling it lol. I didnt fancy trying frontline because I remember hearing it could kill a young snake.
Not sure it would, if used correctly. Certainly haven't heard or read of anyone who has lost a young snake due to frontline, would be interesting to see if there is anyone who has had this happen.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I used it twice with one bout of mites I got a while ago. They did help and I thought they worked, but because they never completely got rid of them, after a while, the bad mites were back in numbers. In the end I had to use Frontline and that worked a treat! I used it on all surfaces and on a rag which I ran over the snakes to kill those on the snake. One use of frontline on the snakes and 2 on the tanks worked perfectly.

Personally, I wouldn't bother buying PAM anymore as I had little success.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Had them once....Used ZOO MED/MITE OFF never had a problem again:no1:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I tried mite off too, the mites i had seemed to enjoy being sprayed with it! I don't know what was going on, but it didn't work at all for me.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys, I think I will go with frontline.

Is there a certain strength to buy? I recently bought two lots for our two dogs, a large dog and a small one, as we have foxes round here so best to be safe.

They were little applicators though, assume i need a bottle?

Thanks

Gary

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I tried mite off too, the mites i had seemed to enjoy being sprayed with it! I don't know what was going on, but it didn't work at all for me.
Weren't out of date was it.....................:whistling2:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Not sure it would, if used correctly. Certainly haven't heard or read of anyone who has lost a young snake due to frontline, would be interesting to see if there is anyone who has had this happen.
I dont know where I read that now I thought it was this forum but I cant find it on here.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Weren't out of date was it.....................:whistling2:

No I bought it new from the ware show last year and used it the same day. And I did check it before paying too.

·
Registered
27,819 Posts
Mites generally only go on the actual snakes to feed. If you see a few on a snake, it's a fair bet that there are hundreds that you cannot see at different stages of their life cycle that are not on the snake... Unless dealt with, sooner or later you will get an explosion of them.

Basically they are living and breeding somewhere that has not been treated yet. As mites like high humidity, it's going to be near water somewhere.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts