Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says do bearded dragons need caves? cos i have seen loads of pics of vivs without them and have seen a few pics with them, also i have been reading a few care sheets and some say they need them and some say they don't! so do they need them, av got one for my viv anyway but am just wondering out of curiosity really!

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
Ive never used a hide for mine and he has never cared :D

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Mine had one and didnt use it...He doesnt seem to care although if you check my post a couple down you can see where he sleeps in the pics..

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
A cave 4 what LMAO ???

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys well av got my bds viv and full setup for it so when i get my bd al put it in and if he/she don't seem to use it al take it out and use it on another rep!:2thumb:

·
Registered
8,570 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
you shouldnt give one to a baby beardie because they might hide inthe cave more than bask and then they wont bask or absorb the UV so will have trouble digesting food etc. i dont give mine a cave, sometimes they go behind a big log but they never seem to care

·
2,141 Posts
Umm we have used one since the word go with ours and both of them use it, we made on out of cork bark most and put it down the cooler end of the viv.their in and out of it all day long, love to lounge around on it after basking and one of them sleeps under there most of the time and the other one occasionally joins her.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you shouldnt give one to a baby beardie because they might hide inthe cave more than bask and then they wont bask or absorb the UV so will have trouble digesting food etc. i dont give mine a cave, sometimes they go behind a big log but they never seem to care
Ok thanks it came with the setup i got so i was just wondering, but al leave it out then, it will always come in handy for another reptile i get later on.:2thumb:

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
lol cool i wont put it in then i don't think, he/she will have plenty of spaces to hide behind anyway cos av got a massive bamboo root jungle gym that goes just about alway across his/her 4ft viv :2thumb:

if the baby beardie looks lost in the 4foot viv id section it off like only use half of the viv till he/she grows !!

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if the baby beardie looks lost in the 4foot viv id section it off like only use half of the viv till he/she grows !!
Thanks for the advise i was going to do that if he/she feels lost:2thumb: but am getting it a little older than a baby one but still small i think!

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Thanks for the advise i was going to do that if he/she feels lost:2thumb: but am getting it a little older than a baby one but still small i think!

ok mate good luck

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok mate good luck
Thanks bud i can't wait, av got the viv and the full setup now but i left it at my mums house why i make a space for it and put the table in i have got for it to go on. But am going to pick it up tomorro now av got all that sorted out and set it up so i can monitor the temps for a few days. then i should be picking up my bd at the weekend or monday i will post pics as soon as i get it ;)

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Thanks bud i can't wait, av got the viv and the full setup now but i left it at my mums house why i make a space for it and put the table in i have got for it to go on. But am going to pick it up tomorro now av got all that sorted out and set it up so i can monitor the temps for a few days. then i should be picking up my bd at the weekend or monday i will post pics as soon as i get it ;)

:2thumb:

·
Registered
114 Posts
i have hides in all my bd vivs but none of them have ever used them!!! usually the younger bd do use them but bd tend to just sleep almost as soon as the lights go out!!!

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Ive got a cave in for mine 8) and they do occassionally use it :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts