Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering as along with my Royal, the Corn has stopped eating

He has only turned down the 1 at the moment which I dont feel its time to panic, but I am just wondering if they stop eating around mating season aswell

If not then not got a clue as all his husbandry is the exact same as normal!

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
It's more likely to be brumation, not mating season. My corn doesn't eat as much in the winter as he does in the spring and summer.

·
Registered
27,819 Posts
If he continues to not eat, it's a good idea to drop his temperatures to around 75F until he starts eating again. Otherwise the warmth will keep his metabolism high and he will lose weight.... but wait until he has not eaten for about a month before doing this.

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
Both of my corns slow their eating during the winter months i often find they refuse feeds as well so i dont feed weekly as i would during the summer, i might feed a large prey item and then leave them for three weeks.
Doesnt affect my boa though hes still a porker.
Marina:)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, my royal wont eat either, but nothing unusual as he did this last year!

Thing is though, the Corn took it and held onto it for a while, but did nothing with it like he usually does! He just held it for a while, then left it!

Normally he holds it for a while, then eats it!

Well, he is ok in weight though, nice fat little guy, he is not overweight or anything so im not going to worry
Im mainly just interested as this is the 1st year of having a corn

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
my males tend to go off there food in winter. I offer a coupld of times then if all is well and I know they have had a poo I take it as my sign to put them into cooling. This is for my breeding corns.

I have found that hatchlings and yearling eat all year round and its only when they are comeing up to or are breeding size they stop eating and its usually only the males

1 - 8 of 8 Posts