Reptile Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi every one,Hope uses are all keeping fine,may be somebody who keeps commons can help?... I feed my lovely 2 1/2ft young girl every 5 days she gets 1 large mouse is this enough are should i increase it to 2. I have tryed her with rats but she won`t touch them.I don't want to over feed her. I contacted a reptile shop near by and he said 1 large mouse is enough, but i remembered once somebody telling me reptile shops only feed them the minimum to keep costs down... dont get me wrong im not saying any thing bad about any one there is alot of good reptile shops out there...... any help would be great.
Any way thanks for setting me straight on the subject about Riks.... i didnt know so many people had a bad word about him.
Thx

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
It would be better off on rats you could try chain feeding it, like 1 small mouse and then say a rat fluff or rat pup to try and get it onto rats eventually. If it is active and looking for food then it probably does need more. If you need any more help feel free to pm me, hope that helps

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
First off you need to try harder to get your BCI onto rats now as when she gets bigger it can become a chore feeding multiple mice. I would also try her on two large mice for now but you would be better off getting her on Rat weaners now. If you had acces to live mice rub the f/t rat in their bedding that could work.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Maki's righ

Get it on rat weaners now, gona save a whole lot of trouble when it's six feet and only eats itty bitty mouses!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree with the above. WEARNER time! My 3ft Columbian takes 2 weaners a week. When I say 3ft she went from 2 to 3ft in a matter of about 6 weeks after changing from mice to rats. This is probably because rats tend to eat alot more food per oz of body weight than mice and their guts are probably loaded with some undigested high-protein rat food. So if you try a weaner then move to 2 when you notice that the animal is blanlty still hungrey - your snake should rocket :) Care not to over do it! , good luck.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Sorry to cut in on your post, but I have a JCP that refuses rats too and it is now eating good but will only take live mice and then a F/T mouse chaser... It was on hunger strike for close to 2 months previously. So if I was to take a F/T rat and put it in the mouse bedding I should be able to trick it into accepting rats eventually??? It looks like that is what you are saying to try and get Jenna's Boa to take them....
Steve

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Hi Steve, I'd insist in trying rat weaners rather than mice, can't see why they are refusing. As to quatity, I reckon 1 mouse (or rat weaner) every 5 days sound about right.

I've got 2 x 6 foot boas that are feeding on large rats every 10 days and seem to be happy about it.

I've got a 3 1/2 foot royal that is taking 1 mouse a week (will try rats as soon as I can increase the prey size).

Many people might say it's not enough, but they seem to be growing well, are very healthy and their metabolism works like a clock, so I rather go by my gut feelings than overfeed, which I know it's very dangerous.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
beckys_dad98 said:
Sorry to cut in on your post, but I have a JCP that refuses rats too and it is now eating good but will only take live mice and then a F/T mouse chaser... It was on hunger strike for close to 2 months previously. So if I was to take a F/T rat and put it in the mouse bedding I should be able to trick it into accepting rats eventually??? It looks like that is what you are saying to try and get Jenna's Boa to take them....
Steve
Yes but Carpets are known for being Rat fussy, some never manage to get them taking Rats, the above is just one of many things to try to encourage them to do so, but you have two things to overcome getting your JCP off live prey and then getting it to take f/t rats.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I can get the JCP to take F/T mice if it's had a live one first so hoping eventually it's "too stupid" for lack of better term to realize it didn't kill the mouse in first place and once got to that point, if I still have some mouse bedding around might be able to get it to take rats... He's turning into quite the piggy now he's realized I'm not gonna try hurting him every time I go into his tank so hoping it's easier than I reckon it's gonna be.... thanks for the heads up though and gl with yours too...
Steve

And Dexter, I have tried rat weaners, he absolutely won't touch them, but as for quantity, he's taking 3-4 large mice every 7 days at moment, a live one followed by a F/T...
And as for my Boa, that thing will eat anything he can fit his mouth around, no problems there....

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
P.S. I did call the breeder a few times when the JCP was on hunger strike and he did eventually admit he was feeding it LIVE rats so I am sure it will take eventually... But here in Alberta I can only get frozen rats, could it be live ones smell different than defrosts which is why he is now refusing them???
Steve

·
Registered
11 Posts
jennababe said:
Hi every one,Hope uses are all keeping fine,may be somebody who keeps commons can help?... I feed my lovely 2 1/2ft young girl every 5 days she gets 1 large mouse is this enough are should i increase it to 2. I have tryed her with rats but she won`t touch them.I don't want to over feed her. I contacted a reptile shop near by and he said 1 large mouse is enough, but i remembered once somebody telling me reptile shops only feed them the minimum to keep costs down... dont get me wrong im not saying any thing bad about any one there is alot of good reptile shops out there...... any help would be great.
Any way thanks for setting me straight on the subject about Riks.... i didnt know so many people had a bad word about him.
Thx
hello jenna if ya worried offer it two mice or mice and 2 chicks if its hungrey it will take everything goodluck buzz

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
beckys_dad98 said:
P.S. I did call the breeder a few times when the JCP was on hunger strike and he did eventually admit he was feeding it LIVE rats so I am sure it will take eventually... But here in Alberta I can only get frozen rats, could it be live ones smell different than defrosts which is why he is now refusing them???
Steve
If he was taking live rats it should be easier to get him onto f/t rats than mice, few things to try get a couple of pet rats and rub the f/t rat in their dirty substate, does he strike at the f/t rats? If so once he strikes and coils give the rats tail a few gentle tugs worked for me made mine constrict harder and eat it.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
No offense Maki, but have you fully read the post "here in Alberta I can only get frozen rats" and they have to be shipped in from out of province. Live rats are illegal here. The breeder lives in British Columbia where you are able to keep rats. I bought the snake from him at the Spring Show in Calgary, Alberta. I am hoping I can eventually get the JCP onto the F/T by following through with a chaser after he has downed a couple of mice, but live rats are out of the question...
Steve

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
No offence taken I didn't realise Rats were illegal there.

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
It must be a nightmare to be a rat in Alberta :roll:

They are probably hiding somewhere and waiting for an amnesty to become legal :lol:

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Dexter said:
It must be a nightmare to be a rat in Alberta :roll:

They are probably hiding somewhere and waiting for an amnesty to become legal :lol:

No, Dexter, what he means is.... oh never mind.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts