Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys

I posted recently about how most of my eggs have hatched but we are left with 6 eggs that have been incubating for now 94 days .

2 have gone a little grey like seethroughish but i am concerned that i see orange bits on the eggs

i have heard they can drown and i dont want to loose these guys if there is something i can do to help

please help me decide do i split or leave them too it as 94 days seems very long considering my first hatched over a month ago

please get back to me on this need your help

dont know if you can see the orange bits on end of the egg !!

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone Please ????

·
Registered
522 Posts
i think thats 2 long mate . try splitting them. im not 2 sure , but i think a month over is slitly over 64 days. 94 is kinda long

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
I'd leave them.

I've heard of eggs going over 100 days before. Without wishing to sound blunt or cruel, if a baby can't get itself out unaided, it was probably never meant to leave the egg... As sad as that is to hear, getting out the egg is one of the hardest things that a beardie ever has to do; if it can't manage it, chances are that it will struggle with the rest of its life as well.

They can drown if they split the egg but are unable to get out fully; this is usually due to large humidity fluctuations during incubation; as the rest of them were fine, I doubt that would be an issue here.

Leave them to it; they may make it out fine, or they may not. The eggs look fine in the photos.

This is one of those times that you have to let nature decide whether or not the dragons are in any fit state to have a shot at life in the first place.

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
My OH and my rule is..

if they cant get out of their eggs, well they arent supposed to make it...

:(

however sayign that some are late, some take longer, its natural.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you bery much hades i did just candle them i did not change angle of the egg i see veins and it felt like movement inside also i just dont wanna lose them when there is something i can do :(

x

how long will i leave it would you say ?

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
Thank you bery much hades i did just candle them i did not change angle of the egg i see veins and it felt like movement inside also i just dont wanna lose them when there is something i can do :(

x

how long will i leave it would you say ?
As Gina said, you should only really start "doing" stuff once they're over the first hurdle by themselves... I know from personal experience that it's easier on you to have one die in the egg than to die 3 weeks later from starvation after never starting to eat.

Personally I'd leave them until they either hatch, slit the eggs but fail to hatch, or the eggs go yellow-brown and start to stink. I don't know what the upper limit for beardie eggs in an incubator is, but I have heard stories (never confirmed them, so I wouldn't take them as being gospel) of eggs hatching after 6 months or so at room temperature.

What temperature are you incubating at? Make sure it doesn't get any warmer than it is otherwise they may be in trouble. Even before they hatch, their metabolic rates are controlled by temperature. If they get too warm late on, they are so large that they produce more waste than their egg can deal with, which poisons them. I wouldn't recommend turning them down though unless they are exceptionally high; I just know that some well-meaning people sometimes suggest turning the temperature up to "encourage" them out / speed up their development, when in actual fact it will most likely end up killing them.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have been incubating at 27-28c is this enough and humidity is always at 47% on my digital thermometer is this too high

should i just leave them as long as they go and maybe wait until they go yellowish and collapses then ? like i say i did candle tongiht which i have never done b4 there are veins and seemed like movement

thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts