Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
still on about the poo issue,does any 1 keep a single leo and note how often they poo? eddie eats daily which seems to suit him best,altho do lizards overeat??thats completely another question but i am interested in answers for that too,obviously he doesnt overeat by choice but is every day too often anyway back to the poo,he hasnt been for a week yet is still active,very active,he looks dull do is going to shed,never noticed a connection b4 but could be reason why and hes still got an excellent appetite,do lizards get constipated?

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
They get constimpated but question is what is the cause.. impaction is pretty much constipation... just the cause is bad...

We have a single leo..only had him 2 weeks today.
he has done about 14 poos also and i think its been quite routinely once a day.
Sorry i cant help further.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
all animals can get constipated at some point or another including leos.sometimes my leos dont go for a few days but thats only recently as its been the winter slow down.so sometimes they dont poop every day.has he been eating fine and is there any signs i.e bloating or tenderness? if not then maybe hes just on a go slow.sometimes giving them meal worms can make them go more as they are not great for nutrition so what gos in tends to come out quicker.works with one of my lads.if he still isnt pooping then try giving him a bath in warm water.this sometimes aids the digestion for beardies so it might help for him.

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes hes eating fine,ihave worried about impaction as he used to be on sand and still has a little in there,but thought that would make him ill,hes completely fine in every other way lively not bloated he is fine with handling,still running about each night just not pooing,ill try the bath,unfortunately he doesnt eat mealies,ill get a few to try again,but hes never pooed every day tho but usually more often than this :(

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
Try letting him have a walk about in your hands and make sure your fingers make contact with his tummy area. Sometimes the tummy massage helps bring on a pooh. do it after hes had his bath if that didnt work :D

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
will try that too,i dont wanna worry as apart from that he seems fine,and im trying to convince myself bowel habits in reps must be like people and vary from 1 to another so maybe this is normal for him,well nearly as he normally goes more!as for the bath i planned on covering the bottom of a lunch box with lukewarm water about a cm cos hes not that tall,do you think that would be ok?

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Have you thought that maybe because your worrying so much and checking him to see whats wrong that maybe he's getting stressed from you :lol: You really need to stop panicking! He HAS been pooing so he will be fine. Don sometimes doesnt poo for a while and then lets loose a big steamer :D and im sure Rainbow the leo has missed a day of pooing before. Relax woman!

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i know was never this bad with my kids :roll: cant believe this bloody lizard,meant to be kids xmas present is the centre of my life at the mo!half the time i read things on here and convince myself,but to be honest i think you maybe right,i couldnt crap with someone peering over my shoulder 24/7,i even have a torch near his viv so if i go to the loo at nite i flash that in 2 see if hes been,poor eddie ill make him as mad as me

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
lol @ flashing torch in his viv, imagine how scared the poor guy must be. imagine if u went toilet at night and all of a sudden a big flashing light started searching for u in the room, the equivalent is probably a lighthouse in ur bathroom :D chill out lady, then he can poop in peace :p

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
i think the gaping mouth is a threat gesture in leos... not sure though... better find out as we have one now lol.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
nah...just threatening... unlikely they would do so unless u put a digit right near his mouth.
Your doing a good job, its not good to worry but if your not 100% comfortable with things u have to keep doing what u think..

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks dean,ive decided to keep his heat mat on full time,dunno if u remember my original post but he was kept very basic,hes off the sand now but i was using bulb for day heat mat for night,dont know how hot the mat should be but its warm to the touch so ive got lino on top and kitchen roll on top of that,i dont think the mat will make any difference to overall viv heat and ill turn light of at night as normal and see how it goes hopefully he will poo! do you think im doing the right thing housing/feeding wise?

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dont forget about me :oops: ,could do with some reassurance im doing things right or advice if im doing it wrong,how long if he seems otherwise healthy should i leave him if hes not pooed? i mean in your opinions as rep keepers leos or not,im so pissed off,he was kept in such poor conditions and thrived,ive changed the things id been told to so he could have a happier life,heard the saying if it aint broke dont fix it.........have i f**ked up :cry: sorry to be a pain i know theres far more interesting topics than eddies poo n my paranoia

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
Hi.
Sorry i only just recently got back online after watching an episode of charmed and having a bath [felt dirty after watching it lol]

I think what ur doing is good.
heatmats are funny things, if they heat a warm end of a viv to 88 degrees you can be sure the surface temp of the damn thing is going to be closer to one hundred lol.

Id just put the thermostat sensor, about an inch above, [or even less, just not quite touching] the floor on the warm end and set it to 90 degrees, this way it should go off or dimm ocasionally to stop the floor getting to hot.

Sorry im unfamiliar with your set up, is it a wooden viv with glass doors? faunarium? and do u have a stat?

our leo is currently in a large faunarium, the cool end stays at room temp all thereabouts all the time as it lets a lot of heat out as are the nature of them, so i just have 3/4 of the viv on a heatmat along with 2 of our corns faunariums.
i just have it plugged on all day and night and at night just put it so only an inch or so is on the mat...again as is the nature of faunariums and the set up i have for them it makes it easy so i dont need a stat.. however so it goes off sumtimes and doesnt overheat [not the viv but just the mat itself or woteva] i sometimes plug it into SAVVY our boscs stat...reason being her heat gets dimmed occasionally and even off a bit but generally on so it works for the corns and leos too.

In a proper viv ofcourse a stat is more essentail as they hold the heat.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
yeh the opening his mouth bit was a threat.he must not of enjoyed it.my leo does that when i have to bath him to get his skin off before biting my cotten wool.they are big whimps though dont worry.i'd say just carry on how you are with your leo.if hes eating then he shouldnt be impacted other wise he would bloat and stop altogether.just carry on as normal feeding wise and he should get his bum in gear soon an let one out lol.you watch it will be the most smelly and gross one you will ever see!With regards to leaving the heat mat on all the time-i leave mine all on all the time and i have never had a problem what so ever.if your still not keen on the idea though you can always buy a timer so it can come on and off when you want.they are only about £1.50 from wilkinsons.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
yes, i got some for that price from there..was shocked at how cheap.
I actually was gona do this but kinda forgot lol, so yeh, u could have it set so it goes off for 15 mins every 3 hours or so.

Personally i find surface temp of 90-100 degrees just something that happens with a heat mat..but a lot of ppl seem to say thats too hot.. but i honestly think once a mat is on 20 mins thats what u get and its not hot enough to burn.
As long as you have hot..and cool.... assumin the hot isnt too hot to handle and the cold isnt too cold to hold [sorry] then your generally ok.

I think the heat from below in this case may absolutely HELP him pass whatever hes having trouble passing.

can u not also put cod liver oil or soemthing on his crix to help??? i may be WAAY off on this one........ SOMEONE?

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i am so sorry this is gonna be a long one!have actually been walking dogs trying to clear my head and thinking what i wanted to say
the viv he has is 2foot long,wooden 3 sides slidy glass at front,he started off(how i got him)with vita sand on floor,a wooden log hide a stone off the beach and a water bowl,his heat was a 40w blue reflector bulb which they kept on 24/7,since ive had him,got him end of nov,ive put hides at each end warm end hide with moss,a few plastic plants,a tree type branch thing,ive taken out the sand and recently having ordered and finally got my heat mat and stat have installed them,on top is lino and kitchen roll on top of that,the stat is set at 29 so think thats around the 80 mark i set it at that as the bulb heats the warm end to around 85-88 on its own,ive been thinking i should get a smaller bulb maybe 20w and see if i can adjust the mat temp to bring it to 85ish during the day and 75ish at night with the bulb off,giving him day/night cycle and getting temps he needs,how does that sound?he was only fed on mealies 10-15 every other day but after a week of getting 10-15 back out i tried him on crix,waxies and hoppers and thats been very successful,he also eats daily now,hes a good weight and has been pooing maybe once a week twice tops since ive had him,hes shed without problem once,or i guess he has as he went almost white like being covered in flour one day then bright as anything next day so guess shedding was no problem,im anxious,as you can tell to get these temps right,if it helps its a habistat mat and a miditherm stat,i just dont want the mat to burn him as its fairly warm to touch hence the kitchen roll,i know i run on,it seems like an essay but you guys are my only help,my local rep supplier is shite basically he offers no practical advice and i dont know any1 near me who has a lizard or any1 whos ever kept 1,closest thing any of my friends have is a snake so no help there,i hate sounding like a need old cow my husband has the arse as i spend alot of time on here,he doesnt get eddie,ive spent tons and still not got it right! i hope after reading this you can sleep my bloody head is buzzing.........thank god for lambrini and lambert n bulter!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts