Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mum and brother went to a pet shop today to pick out a leopard gecko for his birthday, whilre they were at the shop the guy behind the counter told them that a crested gecko was a better choice as they are diurnal and leopards are nocturnal, he also told them that crested geckos bond with you. He also told them that £80 was good for a leopard or crested gecko.

How much of what this guy said was true. I dont really know ( more of a snake guy ) but i dont htink that is the average price and i dont think cresties "bond" better.

Anyone in the know let me know

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
i got both my leopard geckos for £20 each. but i got these off a breeder. even in shops they only sell for 40 pounds for normals at the most. differnet morphs can cost alot though.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
couldn't really say which was better with regards to bonding, that depends on the animal and what you personnally think, but i think leos are overall a better pet for a family and a kid.

and if it was a normal leo 80 quid is a rip!

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
See this is why I cant be bothered some of the time answering the posts asking which rep to get next. Whats a good rep for some is a rubbish rep for others. If you have your heart set on something why ask others what they would get. £80 is a rip off for a leo if its a normal one. there £29 in our shop but I think cresties are around that price maybe a little less. Hope your brother is enjoying his new rep. what did he end up getting a leo or a crested?

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
yeah i dont think any sticky toed gecko is good for a young boy( hope your brother is young and not in his 30s :oops: ) they tend to wriggle out your hands and before you know it their running on the ceiling :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
£80 is a rip off for a standard leo, but about the right price for a crestie...

Although leo's sleep all day, once they are tame they dont mind you waking them up in the day and getting them out ! and leo's are much mor e forgiving to the new keeper...

where abotus are you located ?

HTH

Kev

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
also most people say leos might be a problem as ther nocturnal, but this means they are awake around 7-8pm which for most is ideal as were usually at work or school all day so they can sleep, then they wake up when we've had tea done chores and got time to sit down and spend time with them...ideal... :D both are lovely but i would have to say cresties are definately quicker...

·
Registered
52,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the intrest, what typeof housing do the cresties need, and are the sticky toed geckos more fragile?

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
you can hold them but they are more of a look at rep. Ive not had any cresties but my golden geckos which are sticky toed have fragile skin. I have a house gecko too but i think thats living in my lamp shade at the moment after it made a quick escape :shock:

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
lol how did you manage that ?

my moorish geckos are abit like cresties i tihnk, more to look at than play with...

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
it made a run for it between my hand and the viv door and away it went :shock: i couldnt make a grab for it because it was so small, id probably squash it. Hopefully it will turn up eventually, just got to walk round staring at the ceiling all day.

·
Registered
126 Posts
we paid £70 for our normal male leopard gecko, he was fully grown, but he was our first herp so we weren't aware of breeders or any other shops. but our local shop wanted to charge £180 for a blue tongue skink that had abbrassions on it's nose from rubbing the glass, and toes missing!! they also sell the t-rex bio series for around £9 a bottle it's only a fiver on livefoods!! it's the most expensive shop i've ever come across and she doesn't even know what she's doing half the time, it's awful!, then again we did pay £200 for a pair of albino and paternless albino leopard geckos from ray hine,we just had to have those geckos!!! dont think i would pay that again tho!!! the least exspenive one was a rescue, that we paid £30 quid for normal female leo and a 24" wooden viv with heating and decor. but she was in a poor state. we were thinking of gettin cresties, but then i actually held one in a shop, and at least when a leo gets away you have some chance of cathing it, if your short like me and somethings on the ceiling- you aint getting it down!!lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts