Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
spiders are no more or less likely to be physicly deformed than any other morph royal. They are believed have neural tube defect which is what causes the wobble, but other than that no.

As for breeding 2 together, it would appear that the "super spider" is a no-go, so you are likely to have slugs or eggs that dont go the distance in incubation.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Like Rain said, all spiders have the wobble to some degree and the spider mutation is homozygous lethal, meaning a super-spider won't live very long (probably not long past conception). It's similar to the 'spot' gene in gerbils. All spotted gerbils are heterozygous for spot, because the homozygous form is lethal and they are never born (thus spot x spot litters are a little bit smaller)

·
Registered
14,313 Posts
i'm not sure where this lethal gene has come from, i know a few people that have bred spider to spider and had perfect clutches, with all ofspring surviving and maturing just like any other spider clutch, showing no more or no less of a wobble then you get from spider to normal clutches either.

·
Premium Member
6,657 Posts
i'm not sure where this lethal gene has come from, i know a few people that have bred spider to spider and had perfect clutches, with all ofspring surviving and maturing just like any other spider clutch, showing no more or no less of a wobble then you get from spider to normal clutches either.
Agreed, this "**** Lethal Spider" is all hearsay and rumour mill stuff.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
can u get a super spider

·
Registered
670 Posts
can u get a super spider
Not visual.

I have however heard that it is possible with some lines of spider to get a homozygous spider, the only way you would know is if consistantly 100% offspring were spider.

Visually would look the same though.

·
Registered
16,636 Posts
Hi,

That's kind of the $64,000 question really.

It's not so much people are looking for visually different "super spiders" - they want to know why nobody seems to have a homozygous spider.

This is what leads people to wonder if such a combination is somehow fatal at some point in the development of the egg or hatchling.

But spotting something that isn't there is a tricky thing. And there don't seem to be that many spider to spider breedings being done in the first place to give the kind of numbers needed to spot a missing quarter from follicles to live hatchlings.

Since a follicle only has the females DNA it cannot be homozygous spider yet so you need an accurate count of these. (probably by ultrasound )

Then at ovulation when they are fertilized there is a 25% chance per follicle they will be homozygous spider.

Then you have to see if they go to term and come out as slugs or eggs etc and wait for the eggs to hatch successfully.

Do all that a couple of hundred times and you might get an idea of what is going on.

And if that doesn't show anything then we need to look again and wonder why nobody apparently has a spider that throws all spider offspring yet. :whistling2:

But I haven't heard of anyone saying spider to spider gave them more slugs or dead in eggs than the average which seems odd. Mainly because if that holds out then they must be being reabsorbed after ovulation which also is something I haven't seen anyone report. :gasp:

Aren't morphs fun. :bash:

dr del

·
Registered
16,636 Posts
Hi,

Not visual.

I have however heard that it is possible with some lines of spider to get a homozygous spider, the only way you would know is if consistantly 100% offspring were spider.

Visually would look the same though.
Really? I've never heard that.

Also there has only ever been one spider imported so there is only one line - hence the wobble. The first spider had it.

dr del

·
Registered
14,313 Posts
Agreed, this "**** Lethal Spider" is all hearsay and rumour mill stuff.

glad someone else agrees and wasn't just me thinking it lol

Hi,

Really? I've never heard that.

Also there has only ever been one spider imported so there is only one line - hence the wobble. The first spider had it.

dr del

i've heard this is a possibility, and could well be true, but needs alot more work to prove out i think.

·
Registered
14,313 Posts
I think the reason people don't do spider to spider is purely down
to the lack of a super, so it's a bit of a waste really.
Not heard of any deformitys etc, just no real reason to do it.

this ^
no visually different or debateably even a super form at all, so pointless crossing them, wastes a spider that could go to something else and get more clutches, plus i bet this rumour has put a few people off trying to breed them together aswell.

·
Registered
16,636 Posts
Hi,

Really?

I can see a fair amount of value in a homozygous spider - visual or not. :blush:

To know, beyond doubt that you are going to produce a clutch composed entirely of spider het pieds, or bumblebees if bred to a superpastel, lesserbees if bred to a BEL, etc would be a major plus point for me.

Imagine the joy of having two axanthic killerbees that were also homozygous spiders. :flrt:
I agree not many people do the pairing - and of those that do many keep no, or little, detailed records of the kind I discussed. But I think it's a question that is worth answering. Especially after seeing the pearls in the NERD video.

Similar patterns and similar (visually at least ) problems and they do not survive very long.

Hopefully one day I will be able to afford the animals needed ( both financially and space and resource wise ) to produce enough clutches to at least do a preliminary study of it.

dr del

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.