Reptile Forums banner

do you feed your leopard gecko veg??????

Tags
gecko
7K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  123dragon 
#1 ·
does anyone here feed there leopard gecko vegetables??????

if so what veg do you feed them?????

and how often????

#4 ·
Leopard Geckos are insectivorous, and don't eat vegetables/fruit. Therefore, mealworms, crickets, locusts, roaches, to name a few are good...

I always feed my live food a mixture of carrots, fresh greens and the odd peice of fruit, this way the leopard gecko gets the nutrients from gut loading the insects.

Jac

#5 ·
just so you know this is not what i thought was true either i just heard some guy at my lps tell someone that they like veg and i was like but they are insectivorous, but as i havent kept leopard geckos for long i just wanted to double check

#6 ·
just so you know this is not what i thought was true either i just heard some guy at my lps tell someone that they like veg and i was like but they are insectivorous, but as i havent kept leopard geckos for long just just wanted to be sure that what i have read so far wasnt wrong
Good that you asked to check. I often put a very small piece of carrot or green leaf in the bowl with the meal worms just to tide them over if they are not eaten straight away, and I have seen one of my leos snap it up, then promptly spit it back out! I do the same with the crickets too, this way they will eat the small peice of veg in the viv, rather than get hungry and try to feed on the leo, usually if they are uneaten by day 2/3 I'll take them out anyway.

Mine have usually eaten the insects by the time I get up the next morning :)

#7 ·
definately dont feed them veg plus they wouldnt take it but dont try anyways only feed them mainlt crix and locusts and as a treat maybe waxworms or mealworms maximum 1once a week

#10 ·
This is actually an interesting subject.

A few years ago i was going round with a friend to aload of reptile shops as he was a sales rep for a company.

We went to an aquarium type zoo facility that had reptiles at the top.

Now i completely disagree with the way that the animals were kept, but the leopard geckos were housed with juvenile bearded dragons.
Obviously with the difference that beardeds need to eat veg, they put a veg bowl in there.
There was 2 leos out of the lot that actually ate alot of the veg. which apparently was done on a regular basis........

I know this is completely wrong so dont have a go at me, im just stating what i have witnessed.

#11 ·
This is actually an interesting subject.

A few years ago i was going round with a friend to aload of reptile shops as he was a sales rep for a company.

We went to an aquarium type zoo facility that had reptiles at the top.

Now i completely disagree with the way that the animals were kept, but the leopard geckos were housed with juvenile bearded dragons.
Obviously with the difference that beardeds need to eat veg, they put a veg bowl in there.
There was 2 leos out of the lot that actually ate alot of the veg. which apparently was done on a regular basis........

I know this is completely wrong so dont have a go at me, im just stating what i have witnessed.
the beardies would have ended up eating the leos as they got older though i cant see a leopard gecko eating any veg unless it was starving from no livefood even then i dont know if they could digest it

#13 ·
When researching leos I found a few care sheets and people who had researched and discovered that some leos will eat fruit and veg. It did also say that they can't fully digest it so it's ok to give occasionally as a treat but shouldn't be given too often. I dont bother tho, they are insectivores so insects is what I will feed them.

#15 ·
Please dont try to feed your leopard gecko vegtables no matter if people say they have seen it before or heard it was a good idea i have never seen any research into this and have no idea what damage you could cause your leopard gecko.
would stick to the tried and tested livefood aproach.

#22 ·
I feed my Leo veg!

Indirectly of course in the stomachs of the live food I feed. If they don't need vegetable matter why do we gutload ;)

Playing Devils advocate of course, bacteria and enzymes within the guts of the insects play a large part. Just thought I'd throw it in there.

#25 ·
when i had my leopard gecko she et small amounts of cress that i have growing in a small container in the viv she also nibbled at some herbs that were growing in her viv
she was not starved she et as many crickets as she wanted every other night and it was often on those nights that she came out to browse on the plants

#26 ·
i forgot to add that i would never use them as a part of her diet it was all optional the amount that she et over a week put together would not fill her belly once

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.