Reptile Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
I feed my Leo veg!

Indirectly of course in the stomachs of the live food I feed. If they don't need vegetable matter why do we gutload ;)

Playing Devils advocate of course, bacteria and enzymes within the guts of the insects play a large part. Just thought I'd throw it in there.

comment about cats whats that about ? i thought they eat grass like dogs when they had an upset stomach and wanted to throw up im no expert but i dont think grass is an ideal diet for cats.
No, grass isn't an ideal diet for cats - but they do eat it for specific purposes - it's not so much that they want to throw up, it helps them clear worms out of their systems.

And if grass isn't an ideal diet, why do we feed cats diets made mostly of *grass seeds*?

Playing Devils advocate of course, bacteria and enzymes within the guts of the insects play a large part. Just thought I'd throw it in there.
A dab of fruit baby food or pureed overripe fruit wouldn't do them any significant harm, either. Not a staple by any means.

No, grass isn't an ideal diet for cats - but they do eat it for specific purposes - it's not so much that they want to throw up, it helps them clear worms out of their systems.

And if grass isn't an ideal diet, why do we feed cats diets made mostly of *grass seeds*?

A dab of fruit baby food or pureed overripe fruit wouldn't do them any significant harm, either. Not a staple by any means.
Ssthisto
like i said im no expert on cats i just didnt really see how a gecko eating veg could be compared to a cat eating grass.
basicly all i wanted to acomplish in my reply was to advise people it wasnt a good idea to feed leopard geckos veg as i have seen no research into it being benificial. there may well be i just have not seen it
but i have to admit i wasnt in the best of moods and i got caught up in off topic discussions i apologise to all i do try to think before i post but somtimes it just happens

when i had my leopard gecko she et small amounts of cress that i have growing in a small container in the viv she also nibbled at some herbs that were growing in her viv
she was not starved she et as many crickets as she wanted every other night and it was often on those nights that she came out to browse on the plants

i forgot to add that i would never use them as a part of her diet it was all optional the amount that she et over a week put together would not fill her belly once

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.