Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I go into the garden and pick a different range of weeds and plants. Will the tortoise know which ones he can and can't eat?

I do my best to try and find weeds that are on the list, but some things I pick I can't identify. If it is bad for the tort, will they not eat it?

After all they are in the same situation when outside grazing around the garden?

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
Some people do say that the tortoises can identify plants that could be harmful to them but I arent 100% certain to be honest. If I arent sure about anything I tend to not feed it at all until I can get it identified and checked out. If you arent sure on any plants take a picture of the whole plant without picking it and post the pic on here so others can check it out for you - some plants are toxic and I always thinks its better to be safe than sorry : victory:

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Originally wild caught adults, seem to have more of an idea of whats good for them and whats not. But even then they will on the odd occassion eat the wrong foods. Which is bad if it happens to be a poisonous one.
Small and sub adult captive bred tortoises, I wouldnt trust them not to eat bad foods. So always make sure you have checked your garden over for poisonous plants and the ones high is toxins.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
I believe that all animals have the ability to know whats poisonous otherwise they'd all be dead! maybe the taste is bitter, maybe theres a certain smell, I do know that mine will wander around and are very fussy over what they eat. I wouldn't deliberately plant something that I knew to be bad but equally don't go around removing everything, there are lots of buttercups which some say are poisonous but they never touch them and there are far to many to remove. I've seen my old ones sniff everything before they have a nibble and always move on if its not to their taste

·
Registered
468 Posts
I disagree with the idea that captive bred animals are different from wild animals in regards to tortoises, it's not like they are taught anything by their parents.

Tortoises have massive livers in relation to their size and are quite difficult to poison, they tend to nibble on lots of different plants if left to wander and as long as they are fed a varied diet then the odd plant or leaf will not do them any harm.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
I disagree with the idea that captive bred animals are different from wild animals in regards to tortoises, it's not like they are taught anything by their parents.

Tortoises have massive livers in relation to their size and are quite difficult to poison, they tend to nibble on lots of different plants if left to wander and as long as they are fed a varied diet then the odd plant or leaf will not do them any harm.
Agree in principle- but grazing in the open is a bit different from a pile of cut leaves presented on a table. My turts will try to eat anything green dropped into their water- they don't stop to analyse it. In an outside pond I imagine they would be more fussy.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Dogs will happily eat chocolates and can be deadly ( suppose thats manufactured and sweet) what bout lilies being deadly to cats, and they eat those??

·
Registered
601 Posts
I know it does but you can see the title of the article n`est pas. The letter outlines 2 cases of poisoning with rhododendron. I tort died, the other recovered with supportive care.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
My leopards will eat leaves that they shouldn't have given the chance - It is difficult to regulate when they do roam around the garden.

We spent along time getting rid of bluebells when we first moved here and still have a few to pull up every year and of course buttercups and daisies growing in the grass.

One of mine even ate a leaf off my rubber plant !!!

So I would say they dont know what not to eat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts