Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aldabras on RFUK?

Are they hard to keep? I have read some info on them but there doesnt seem to be as much available as other species.

I was thinking about maybe getting a couple once I move to America and dedicate an acre of land to them.

Do you think security would be a big risk factor? We are relocating somewhere quite remote, but news travels fast.

Dying to know peoples thoughts!! :)

Matt

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you do in the winer with three mooohasive tortoises?

I am moving to North America, its pretty cold and snowy for 4 months of the year, really hot for 6 months of the year and mediocre the other two months, a bit blowy and a bit rainy.

What licence requirements are needed? Are they endangered? How much room would the need for an indoor enlosure. I would ae barns and outbuildings but would build something for the torts if I decide to keep them.

Its still an if at the moment for tortoises as there are other things I want/need more. My Jersey cow is 1st then my heavy horse and then way way downthe list are the tortoises. but its nice to imagine :2thumb:

·
Banned
3,589 Posts
They have to be one of the toughest tortoises I've ever kept.

They are pigs in that they eat everything.

They are very cold tolerant.

You would need a barn to house them during cold weather.

My Rottie has the run of the yard with the tortoises. I also work sort and odd hours so I'm usually home. If sombody wants to steal them they are going to no matter what regardless.

They are only CITES II so no permits are required. If you can pay the price you can get them anytime.

I have a few for sale right now. I even have a few that were surgicly sexed so I can offer known males and females.

I also have been keeping them for about 8 years now. They are my favorite.

Ed

What do you do in the winer with three mooohasive tortoises?

I am moving to North America, its pretty cold and snowy for 4 months of the year, really hot for 6 months of the year and mediocre the other two months, a bit blowy and a bit rainy.

What licence requirements are needed? Are they endangered? How much room would the need for an indoor enlosure. I would ae barns and outbuildings but would build something for the torts if I decide to keep them.

Its still an if at the moment for tortoises as there are other things I want/need more. My Jersey cow is 1st then my heavy horse and then way way downthe list are the tortoises. but its nice to imagine :2thumb:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They have to be one of the toughest tortoises I've ever kept.

They are very cold tolerant.

You would need a barn to house them during cold weather.
Ed
Toughest as in hardy or toughest as in hard to keep?

Cold tolerant or intolerant? I imagine a big monster of a tort once warm would stay warm. Is that the case? would they go outside and "play" in the snow, or would they need to stay indoors during the winter?

I will have a barn, a few infact, just the size, I am looking at 5000sq ft x 2, but that will be the horse, sheep, cows, goats, hay storage as well as the other stuff :)

You got any pics of your setup? Also what is the demand/prices like for hatchlings?

·
Banned
3,589 Posts
Toughest as in hardy or toughest as in hard to keep?
Very easy to keep.

Cold tolerant or intolerant? I imagine a big monster of a tort once warm would stay warm. Is that the case? would they go outside and "play" in the snow, or would they need to stay indoors during the winter?
Cold tolerant. As you said... once they warm up it takes them about 3 hours to cool down at 40F. Mine have gone out in the snow but the daytime temperatures usually reach the middle 50s at the coolest time of the year and as long as it's sunny they can warm up to a workable temperature.

Here is my biggest boy who basically doubles in size every year.

This is the yard with baby pens and Leopard pen.

Here is one and two friends chowing down.

Here's the male wanting to come in.

Finally... the view from my office window. That picture was taken in January... about 50F.

Ed

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FANTASTIC!!!

And the setup looks great too.

I think there may be aldabras at my Farmstead yet!!

Thanks for taking the time to show me, they really do look great!:mf_dribble:

·
Banned
3,589 Posts
Where are you talking about settling down?

email me at [email protected] and I'll send you some articles I wrote on the species.

Ed

FANTASTIC!!!

And the setup looks great too.

I think there may be aldabras at my Farmstead yet!!

Thanks for taking the time to show me, they really do look great!:mf_dribble:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think you would need to own a few fields if you wanted to keep torts that big!
I am aiming to have between 10 and 30 acres of land along with my house and build a small farm, with outbuildings and a big workshop.
Should i decide on getting some, and it is a big if, then they will have a good sized field and purpose built outbuilding just for them. Along with food grown on my own land. Its not something I am doing on a whim, if at all, but its nice to dream!!

:)

·
Registered
993 Posts
Well I hope you manage it! My aunt had a farm which I used to spend many hours at. She decided she was too old and sold it just the year before I got married, or I would have bought it! She sold it in the mid 80's for a mere £58,000...... Can you believe that!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know. 58k is silly money. You cant get anything for that anymore.

Thing is, my wifes home town, where we are moving to, places are SOOO cheap

Nothnagle.com - 427 Cheese Factory Rd, Mendon

Thats £220,000 so top end of our budget, but look at the size of the place.

There are houses for sale with 5 acres of land, 3/4 bed houses, barns garages and all for WELL under £100k
You can get a house there for less than £50k its shocking :mf_dribble:

There is a place for sale in a really nice location, 4 bedrooms, pool, 10.8 acres (some of it wooded and a nice pond) barn, workshop and double garage for $ 119,900 thats £ 61,000. Its a nice place too.

I have about 1 year left and then I am off! And I cant wait!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.