Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aldabras on RFUK?

Are they hard to keep? I have read some info on them but there doesnt seem to be as much available as other species.

I was thinking about maybe getting a couple once I move to America and dedicate an acre of land to them.

Do you think security would be a big risk factor? We are relocating somewhere quite remote, but news travels fast.

Dying to know peoples thoughts!! :)

Matt

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you do in the winer with three mooohasive tortoises?

I am moving to North America, its pretty cold and snowy for 4 months of the year, really hot for 6 months of the year and mediocre the other two months, a bit blowy and a bit rainy.

What licence requirements are needed? Are they endangered? How much room would the need for an indoor enlosure. I would ae barns and outbuildings but would build something for the torts if I decide to keep them.

Its still an if at the moment for tortoises as there are other things I want/need more. My Jersey cow is 1st then my heavy horse and then way way downthe list are the tortoises. but its nice to imagine :2thumb:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They have to be one of the toughest tortoises I've ever kept.

They are very cold tolerant.

You would need a barn to house them during cold weather.
Ed
Toughest as in hardy or toughest as in hard to keep?

Cold tolerant or intolerant? I imagine a big monster of a tort once warm would stay warm. Is that the case? would they go outside and "play" in the snow, or would they need to stay indoors during the winter?

I will have a barn, a few infact, just the size, I am looking at 5000sq ft x 2, but that will be the horse, sheep, cows, goats, hay storage as well as the other stuff :)

You got any pics of your setup? Also what is the demand/prices like for hatchlings?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FANTASTIC!!!

And the setup looks great too.

I think there may be aldabras at my Farmstead yet!!

Thanks for taking the time to show me, they really do look great!:mf_dribble:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think you would need to own a few fields if you wanted to keep torts that big!
I am aiming to have between 10 and 30 acres of land along with my house and build a small farm, with outbuildings and a big workshop.
Should i decide on getting some, and it is a big if, then they will have a good sized field and purpose built outbuilding just for them. Along with food grown on my own land. Its not something I am doing on a whim, if at all, but its nice to dream!!

:)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know. 58k is silly money. You cant get anything for that anymore.

Thing is, my wifes home town, where we are moving to, places are SOOO cheap

Nothnagle.com - 427 Cheese Factory Rd, Mendon

Thats £220,000 so top end of our budget, but look at the size of the place.

There are houses for sale with 5 acres of land, 3/4 bed houses, barns garages and all for WELL under £100k
You can get a house there for less than £50k its shocking :mf_dribble:

There is a place for sale in a really nice location, 4 bedrooms, pool, 10.8 acres (some of it wooded and a nice pond) barn, workshop and double garage for $ 119,900 thats £ 61,000. Its a nice place too.

I have about 1 year left and then I am off! And I cant wait!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.