Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
3,589 Posts
They have to be one of the toughest tortoises I've ever kept.

They are pigs in that they eat everything.

They are very cold tolerant.

You would need a barn to house them during cold weather.

My Rottie has the run of the yard with the tortoises. I also work sort and odd hours so I'm usually home. If sombody wants to steal them they are going to no matter what regardless.

They are only CITES II so no permits are required. If you can pay the price you can get them anytime.

I have a few for sale right now. I even have a few that were surgicly sexed so I can offer known males and females.

I also have been keeping them for about 8 years now. They are my favorite.

Ed

What do you do in the winer with three mooohasive tortoises?

I am moving to North America, its pretty cold and snowy for 4 months of the year, really hot for 6 months of the year and mediocre the other two months, a bit blowy and a bit rainy.

What licence requirements are needed? Are they endangered? How much room would the need for an indoor enlosure. I would ae barns and outbuildings but would build something for the torts if I decide to keep them.

Its still an if at the moment for tortoises as there are other things I want/need more. My Jersey cow is 1st then my heavy horse and then way way downthe list are the tortoises. but its nice to imagine :2thumb:

·
Banned
3,589 Posts
Toughest as in hardy or toughest as in hard to keep?
Very easy to keep.

Cold tolerant or intolerant? I imagine a big monster of a tort once warm would stay warm. Is that the case? would they go outside and "play" in the snow, or would they need to stay indoors during the winter?
Cold tolerant. As you said... once they warm up it takes them about 3 hours to cool down at 40F. Mine have gone out in the snow but the daytime temperatures usually reach the middle 50s at the coolest time of the year and as long as it's sunny they can warm up to a workable temperature.

Here is my biggest boy who basically doubles in size every year.

This is the yard with baby pens and Leopard pen.

Here is one and two friends chowing down.

Here's the male wanting to come in.

Finally... the view from my office window. That picture was taken in January... about 50F.

Ed

·
Banned
3,589 Posts
Where are you talking about settling down?

email me at [email protected] and I'll send you some articles I wrote on the species.

Ed

FANTASTIC!!!

And the setup looks great too.

I think there may be aldabras at my Farmstead yet!!

Thanks for taking the time to show me, they really do look great!:mf_dribble:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.