·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plant Terrestrial plant Groundcover Grass Flowering plant

Plant Leaf Flower Leaf vegetable Food

Plant Botany Terrestrial plant Flower Groundcover

Plant Leaf Groundcover Flowering plant Annual plant

Does anybody know if any of these weeds are suitable for a Horsefield tortoise please?

Been branching out on m weed walks and trying new sports, could not identify any of these but curious to see what they are and if they are suitable.
Plant Terrestrial plant Flowering plant Groundcover Annual plant

Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Groundcover Flowering plant

Attachments

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
No, neither are suitable. Horsfield tortoises are usually underground now until March when there will be suitable weeds around. The last pic shows dandelions (edible) next to a toxic plant. Can I suggest you buy Linda Kings book which gives excellent illustrations and descriptions. You can get it here www.tortoises.net

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
View attachment 356009
View attachment 356010
View attachment 356011
View attachment 356008
Does anybody know if any of these weeds are suitable for a Horsefield tortoise please?

Been branching out on m weed walks and trying new sports, could not identify any of these but curious to see what they are and if they are suitable.
View attachment 356012
View attachment 356006
Try going to www.tortoises.net for great info on weeds suitable for tortoises. Written by Lin King well know in the tortoise world for her research into plants for tortoises. She has also done a lot of field work:0)

·
Registered
402 Posts
View attachment 356009
^pretty sure this one is a willowherb.

View attachment 356010
^pretty sure this one is a geum.

View attachment 356011
^pretty sure this one is a buddleia.

View attachment 356008
^this is herb robert.

View attachment 356012
^common ivy. Toxic.

View attachment 356006
^ragwort or groundsel top (I struggle to tell them apart without flowers, but either way, both are toxic), dandelion bottom.

I've been on a lot of forager groups and I always end up leaving because people have got such a desperation to try to eat things that they can't identify. If you can't identify common ivy, you've got a long way to go before you can start feeding your tortoise anything you're picking. Common ivy is a really, really easy one, there's nothing you can confuse it with and it's not edible at all.

Start off with dandelion leaves that are smooth (not hairy). That'll be the easiest one to start out foraging for.

Or stick to shop bought salad leaves that are labelled. If you struggle with identifying weeds it's not worth killing a tortoise over.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies, really appreciate it. I have ordered that book and its fantastic.

And appreciate your concern but I grow 14 different types of succulent, weeds and flowers for my Horsefield and he has dandelion and sow thistle regularly, I was curious what these weeds were as they grow near me does not mean I would ever feed my tort anything without knowing exactly what it is before.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Thanks everyone for your replies, really appreciate it. I have ordered that book and its fantastic.

And appreciate your concern but I grow 14 different types of succulent, weeds and flowers for my Horsefield and he has dandelion and sow thistle regularly, I was curious what these weeds were as they grow near me does not mean I would ever feed my tort anything without knowing exactly what it is before.
Do remember that the natural lifecycle of a horsfield is less than 6 months of feeding per year, so to avoid deformities, if not hibernating then very little feeding is required over winter.......sufficient to keep weight static with no gain whatsoever. 12 monthly feeding is a mistake made by many, the results of which cannot be reversed 😉 Their requirements are not the same as say hermanni, graeca etc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts