Reptile Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
No, neither are suitable. Horsfield tortoises are usually underground now until March when there will be suitable weeds around. The last pic shows dandelions (edible) next to a toxic plant. Can I suggest you buy Linda Kings book which gives excellent illustrations and descriptions. You can get it here www.tortoises.net

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Thanks everyone for your replies, really appreciate it. I have ordered that book and its fantastic.

And appreciate your concern but I grow 14 different types of succulent, weeds and flowers for my Horsefield and he has dandelion and sow thistle regularly, I was curious what these weeds were as they grow near me does not mean I would ever feed my tort anything without knowing exactly what it is before.
Do remember that the natural lifecycle of a horsfield is less than 6 months of feeding per year, so to avoid deformities, if not hibernating then very little feeding is required over winter.......sufficient to keep weight static with no gain whatsoever. 12 monthly feeding is a mistake made by many, the results of which cannot be reversed 😉 Their requirements are not the same as say hermanni, graeca etc

1 - 2 of 2 Posts