Reptile Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there isnt a size chart for one, can I get an average size for a 3 year old? I've been trying to find it but every thing i found is just talking about its maximum size or its size at birth, also usually the size of a 1 or 2 year old.

I specifically need the average size for a 3 year old anaconda. Gender doesn't really matter.

It might sound weird but I'm making a game (visual novel) and I'd like everything to be factually correct. (gender doesn't matter because I havent decided on which gender to make it yet) I love snakes and would love to have one one day, maybe not an anaconda since I don't think I'll ever get enough funds for one, and I'm physically weak so theres no way ill even be able to handle one lol

Anyway one of the characters has a pet anaconda who is about 3 years of age, and I'd like to portray them in a realistic light.
If I don't know the size I wouldn't know how big if an enclosure it needs at the moment, and what it can eat, how big I should actually draw it on the character, etc.

I hope people don't mind me asking this lol, I probably researched more on anacondas at this point than a person who would buy one would, but even then, I havent found this very specific and probably useless to most people, information...

That last part was sarcasm... Just in case people didn't get it ^^;

·
Registered
9,477 Posts
Part of the problem is that with the two species of anaconda, and large size differences between sexes and the growth spirts these snakes put on, it's impossible to give an average. You could have your fictional snake 8' or 13' as both are possible within the species and sexes.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Part of the problem is that with the two species of anaconda, and large size differences between sexes and the growth spirts these snakes put on, it's impossible to give an average. You could have your fictional snake 8' or 13' as both are possible within the species and sexes.
Wasn't there a proven case of a third species of green anaconda.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems I need to explain this part again.

It doesn't matter which gender you have the size of, BECAUSE I havent chosen a gender yet.
If I don't get any replies from people who have females, but i do know how big males are around that age, I can make the snake male, if I know how long a female is around that age but not the male, I can make the snake female.

I have no preference over the gender of this fictional snake, so I'm just looking for something I can use.

It'll still be factually correct since I'll change the gender of the snake depending on which answers I get.

Hope that explains it :)

·
Registered
9,477 Posts
Just google "anaconda growth rate" - there are several discussions on old posts here for example But what you need is for someone who has kept one, and kept records on weight and length at given ages. But you could state that the snake is three years old and 8 feet an you could be factually correct. The point I was trying to make is that even within a species you get variants. I have a male common boa. Male commons are typically 6-7' when mature by the time they are four years old. Mine is 8'. 5" measured..... In most cases female snakes are larger and longer than the male, and depending on species that difference can be quite considerable. - I can understand where you are coming from in wanting to be factually correct as it would save any "ridicule" if you have over sated the length, but equally if you sated 7' or 9' no one would know any difference as there is the individual variety.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts