Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know when the iguanas breeding season is? i read it somewhere that it it is in dec/jan, i have two males and two females. just really wanted to know when if at all to put a laying box in with them.
does anyone know?
thanks Joanna x

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi

thats the one male with the two females i know about them fighting they have different enclosures, they can kill each other cant they that photo was taken before i got the other male

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi

oh yer sorry that is the baby one which is in yet another viv now i put them together for the pic now i have two seperate enclosures for the two adult males each with one female then i have that baby which is in another encolsure not ready for breeding yet.
i have had them sexed and there are two females and one male in the pic and i recently bought a male and i have had him sexed to.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ok sorry once again.... just concerned about the reps ;-)

Might wanna be careful when they do get into season as I have seen what can happen when a male gets a little over excited.... and female ends up with half her head ripped off.... it really isnt nice.

Heres the best site possible for all your iggie breeding questions

http://www.anapsid.org/iguana/breedingbasics.html

Also are you sure you want to breed? Have you enough homes willing to take in 100 (possible) 6 foot lizards?

·
Registered
53 Posts
as an aside, I was told that iguanas can get funny with females (humans) when the human female is menstruating

is this true or was i mis0informed?/

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi

thanks for your concern about the rep :) i have about 50 homes i know 50 people who want them, i think a reptile or any animal for that matter should be allowed to express natuarl behaviour and be able to breed. thats my opinion, im not sure if i should breed them but wont males fight in breeding season anyway? i know they get more aggressive, my males seem fine with me i havent had any problems well i have been whipped on the odd occasion but nothing major. thanks for the website :)

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
Not meaning to be funny joanne but this question should go in Lizards section not classifieds. :wink:

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
If they are your pets PLEASE don't breed them.

I have had females missing limbs from over eager males, not to mention the chunks they can rip out of the neck. This is NO exageration btw.
Breeding iggies is not for pet keepers IMO, it just tears up your heart when you see the damage to your beloved girls.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'd like to echo what some of the others have said, PLEASE do not breed your iggies...

There are already so many unwanted iggies out there who have a hard enough time as it is. You say you know FIFTY people who want an iggy? A decent thing to do would be to get each of these fifty people to rehome one of these abandoned ones, so they too can express natural behaviour and have the good quality of life they deserve :thumb:

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Im moving this to Lizard section where its more appropriate :)

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Joanna nobody's getting at you so please don't take this the wrong way but i would have to agree, iggies get such a tough time because of the aggresion they show sometimes, there are so many unwanted abandoned iggies out there at the mo...in the reptile world there is a need to captive breed so to help stop the wild caught trade, so i generally encourage it but not for iggies as said they have had a really bad press lately and there are so many queing up for a good home from rescue centres etc...please please think seriously before breeding.... :D and i would encourage you freinds who you know want one to re-home, i myself rehomed a so called aggresive youngster, who actually was just scared and with time and routine and alot of hand feeding is coming round...... :D and just to add how often to you walk into a rep shop and they have iggies up for sale? not often anymore and that just shows there is no real market for them....

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
i just read this and i am a little confused.

u say don't breed them if they are your pets because it will break ur heart seeing them torn apart?
surely breeders have at one stage been just pet keepers and have loved the species of animal so much they have decided to breed them?
And even if u bought iggies just for the sake of breeding, surely its still upsetting to see an animal possibly attacked?

just a little confused :?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts