Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my cham has started to hiss and lunge at me i want to pick him up but dont want him to bite me what can i do to stop this someone said try hand feeding him but how do you go about this? thanks

·
Registered
242 Posts
Don't worry ours hisses and lunges but has never bitten either of us. He's just posturing. I get more damage off him when he walks up my arm as his claws are very sharp and he does like to hang on tight.

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
hand feeding :- open the cage door or whatever its you, put your hand in there near him, but not too close, then offer him food somewhere along your arm, he'll want the food and as he tries to get it, move it futher up your arm (nearer your head) he will most likely chase after it using your arm as a branch, once he is fully on your arm and his tail isnt holding onto anything slowly move your arm out and then let him take the food item, you then have him out of the viv and will calm down in seconds and will let you handle him

well mine does anyway :p

ive been too fast not to get bit but they do have strong jaws and teeth so think they may leave a mark on your hand if they did get you :p

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hand feeding :- open the cage door or whatever its you, put your hand in there near him, but not too close, then offer him food somewhere along your arm, he'll want the food and as he tries to get it, move it futher up your arm (nearer your head) he will most likely chase after it using your arm as a branch, once he is fully on your arm and his tail isnt holding onto anything slowly move your arm out and then let him take the food item, you then have him out of the viv and will calm down in seconds and will let you handle him

well mine does anyway :p

ive been too fast not to get bit but they do have strong jaws and teeth so think they may leave a mark on your hand if they did get you :p
thanks andy will giv it ago
:2thumb::2thumb:

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
iv been bitten by a beardie royal and cham cham was the tamest! my adult male broke my skin on my hand wasnt to painfull tho had a nice diamond shape cut hehe,i hardley even handled my boy the day i was bit we were moving house so he had to come out of his viv:whistling2: i did find most of the time they are all mouth and dont actually bite :whip:

·
Registered
397 Posts
i hold a cup of my chams favourite foods, in front of him, tilted so he can see them in the cup. and hold my other arm out, then as he comes forward slowly move the cup of food back so he has to come on my arm to get them

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
iv heard of a guy who lost his arm to chams bite:whistling2:

·
Registered
361 Posts
ours seems to prefer to be hand fed rather than use his tongue, he has gotten very tame since we had him, still hisses but thats good cos i know he is healthy! and when he opens his little mouth he reminds me of a little baby bird and i pop his crickets in its like he knows and is used to his routine :) the more time you spend with them the better they seem to be with you xx

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
i heard that to he droped his phone and cudnt text for help :lol2:
it must be the same guy then it should just grow back like a tail would:lol2:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just went and got some wax worms to try and wen i put it in my hand and opend the viv door he ran away and didnt come neer me just have to keep trying i think :lol2:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
success it worked had him eating out my hand and then he climbed on my hand an was ther for about 45 min even let me take sum pics :lol2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts