Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During my research of the little fellas before I got one I found one way to tell the difference of gender was by the amount of dents and kinks in the mantis's crest. I'm pretty sure he's a little boy but I just wanted to ask for a second and third opinion :flrt: Of course the other way I found if you count the segments on the abdomen I count about 7,8 .

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
yeah I recall females have little to no dents and their crest is a lot smoother :).
Is he mature yet? Does he have wings? Trice on here is looking for a male to do some breeding with his adult female, might be worth sending him a message. Males don't last long and you might get some babies from him.

·
Registered
790 Posts
It's very easy to sex ghost mantises.

Typically the females tend to be darker and chunky looking. Males are more colourful in the browns and quite thin looking. The crest on the head will look very jagged compared to a females which just looks somewhat lop sided.

When adult a males antenae will grow 2-3 times in size and extend quite a bit beyond the crest whereas females will remain short.

As others have said you have a male because the crest very jagged looking

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
awesome thanks for all the feedback, Sadly he's not mature yet, so no baby making for him :lol2:

In the ad it was mentioned as L3-L4 and he has had a succesful moult the other night, He did it during the night so I missed it :( so that would take him to either L4 or L5. I'm going to measure him when I next take him out his home.

·
Registered
12,239 Posts
awesome thanks for all the feedback, Sadly he's not mature yet, so no baby making for him :lol2:

In the ad it was mentioned as L3-L4 and he has had a succesful moult the other night, He did it during the night so I missed it :( so that would take him to either L4 or L5. I'm going to measure him when I next take him out his home.
In your picture he doesn't look too far off adult, maybe pre sub adult. We have a couple of sub adults here, trying to slow them down so our females mature first. :lol2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts