Reptile Forums banner

Does my leo have a skin condition?

769 views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  emski 
#1 ·
hi there,

Ive had a look on line and i cant see anything that it may be, it dosent appear to be dry skin that has not come off properly when hes shredded, i could be wrong, but it just dont seem to look like that. he has a little white spot above his eye as well :? Is he ok? What could i do to help? or is this nothing?

emily:flrt:

#3 ·
couldn't tell you myself but a cute leo none the less :lol2:

#4 ·
could he be about to go into shed tho?

#5 ·
he looks ok to me,my leo goes very white like hes been covered in flour b4 he sheds and can stay like that a few days,try a warm bath,my leo hated that tho,actually dean warned me it was a threat when he gaped at me,a real big roar it was too,can only say keep an eye on him you know your own leo he may look fine to us but if youre worried after a few days go to the vets,id say if hes eating,drinking and pooing theres not much wrong but im no expert,far from it

#8 ·
#9 ·
Thanks for the uk vets list, thats handy to have.. his nose does not look as bad as it did the other day, and hes still eating etc.. he may of banged it while being over excited about a cricket:lol2: I am going to book all of my guys in for a check out soon, might get some pet insurance 1st tho:grin1:

#10 ·
I would say that your leo is coming up for a shed.

I have a smallish tup-a-wear tub with wet cotton wool at the bottom of it in the centre of my leo viv so that the will climb in when it is time to shed and you will most definitly find they will do this all by themselves. Make sure the lid is on the tub with a hole cut in the top big enough for you leo's to get in.

You will probably find that they shed overnight and eat their shedding so all you will see is a brighter leo without the white spot above the eye.

Let me know how you get on

Cheers : victory:

#11 ·
One of our leo's sometimes looks like that, but as she never stops eating or anything we don't worry! lol

Just check her toes for any skin that's trapped, just in case.

Emma xXx

#13 ·
im getting worried now:hmm: it did look as if it was getting better but now its looking worse!! hes even got a few white spots on his head, hes not eating his crickets no more, i have managed to tempt him into eating 2 waxworms but he never needs tempting with them usually,hes hiding all the time as well now:( i have rang all of my local vets and none of them treat reptiles, there is 1 that does but its abourt a 40 minute drive, dont really fancy that as it might stress him even more...

can any one help?

#14 ·
He could still be about to shed.... one of ours goes off her food for about a week in all, and goes white gradually. She never did when she was little, but has done so more as she's got older.

Give him a few more days, keep an eye on his tail, if it's getting thin, then worry and maybe take him to the vets. As long as they have anice fat tail they can go for ages and ages with no food.

I went on holiday last week, and left mine for 6 nights with no food and he was still a porker when I got back! (Someone put water in for me, but refused to touch the food!)

I know how worrying it can be, but try not to worry and stress, and as you say, only take an animal on a long journey to a vet if it's absolutely necessary. :D

#16 ·
Thanks for that dude :smile: he is pretty lol

I have called the vets and made a appointment for tomorrow, i dont think its to do with him shedding as he usually turns white a few days before it happens and this appeared around 2 weeks ago and is not going away. I know its a long drive but im guessing as long as i keep him warm he should be ok. I would rathier get it checked out sooner rathier then later just in case it is somthing, would rathier be safe then sorry.. I am prob worrying about nothing but he really dosent seem his self lately :(

#18 ·
Ahh thanks :smile: i have just found a vet that is much closer to me.. only ten minutes away and they said that they could see him tomorrow.. bit expensive there but much rathier pay more then have to make gizmo travel all that way, 40 mins is a bit long for a little lizard :lol2:

#19 ·
went to the vets yesterday and she was not quite sure what it could be.. She said it could be a allergie to somthing, i thought maybe calcium powder so she said to change it and try a different one.she also said that there may not be enough humidity in the tank and that may of caused it.. I have to clean its head area for a week with salt water on a cotton bud and then apply the smallest amount of vaseline to his head to stop his skin drying up so much. Apart from that he is as a very healthy and happy lizard: victory:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.