Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I've had Hendrix, an Alaskan malamute / Siberian husky cross for about just over a year and he never usually barks a lot, unless one of the cats walks past the window outside. But whilst I was away (for 2 days) according to my dad and sister he started barking at nothing and seemed generally unsettled, then he wouldn't go downstairs at all, they presumed that he missed me or wondered where I was. I am back now (obviously) and he seems ok but won't go into the kitchen on his own and when he is in the kitchen he barks at the corner or just sits and stares..?

No it's nothing paranormal, well it could be but I'm looking for a logical explanation before I scare myself haha, one of my theories is that he can hear the cats in the garage (just through the wall exactly where he barks at) but he's never been bothered before though, and I doubt he can hear them so I just don't know!

Does anybody have a logical explanation without me having to set up cameras and call an excorcist?

Or is it just Normal for dogs to bark at the corner of the kitchen?

·
Premium Member
7,867 Posts
One of my dogs used to bark at something coming down the stairs. She used to sit on the arm of the sofa and stare at the stairs then start barking and growling at it.

I couldn't tell you why yours has started barking, however.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Any sign of rats in your kitchen or garage? With all the flooding around it can result in them fleeing into houses, we tend to get them in the house when the river flooding forces them uphill (also doesn't help having abandoned buildings nearby either!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Hey guys,

So I've had Hendrix, an Alaskan malamute / Siberian husky cross for about just over a year and he never usually barks a lot, unless one of the cats walks past the window outside. But whilst I was away (for 2 days) according to my dad and sister he started barking at nothing and seemed generally unsettled, then he wouldn't go downstairs at all, they presumed that he missed me or wondered where I was. I am back now (obviously) and he seems ok but won't go into the kitchen on his own and when he is in the kitchen he barks at the corner or just sits and stares..?

No it's nothing paranormal, well it could be but I'm looking for a logical explanation before I scare myself haha, one of my theories is that he can hear the cats in the garage (just through the wall exactly where he barks at) but he's never been bothered before though, and I doubt he can hear them so I just don't know!

Does anybody have a logical explanation without me having to set up cameras and call an excorcist?

Or is it just Normal for dogs to bark at the corner of the kitchen?

i think its important to know you own two extremely vocal dogs and secondly its the only way they can communicate.
when separated from their pack they bark and howl to locate each other and be reunited, why he started while you were away.
That is where it has started and once they have found their voice..its hard to get them to stop.
All he knows is when he is barking, you either tell him to stop, remove him from the room, either way this is communication and he wants it.
Not going to the kitchen alone can be anything from a spider bite he remembers near that wall/he slid into the wall but he received attention at the first time and now he wants more.
Best thing isn't always to ignore. If it was me i would teach him to speak. therefore it becomes a command off of you and not him doing it out of anxiety/stress or boredom
at the same time as teaching him speak you can teach quiet.
when he barks you immediately say speak over and over again (after he does it naturally on his own)
then you can give it as a command and reward him for it.
I know it sounds odd but your taking away the stress or anxiety that causes him to bark in the first place which is good (like putting mittens on someone who is constantly scratching and hurting themselves, allowing them to heal and no longer itch)
Also dogs can hear for miles so it he can defiantly hear and even smell the cats through walls meters thick.
you could put something in front of that barking area but he might just bark further away.
I would train it out of him.
The are extremely smart and athletic dogs and they thrive from physical and mental stimulation.

·
Registered
280 Posts
How often does he have a walk, and how far, the breed need a lot of exercise and mental stimulation, boredom shows up in a lot of ways

1 - 8 of 8 Posts