Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, some of you may have noticed I have put a collar on Don, my bosc monitor.

Firstly, i realise most people don't like it because they haven't bothered replying to the pictrues thread so I wanted to know your exact views on it and let you know mine.

I wasn't going to put a collar on Don originally, I thought maybe it was a bit unheard of. Don't think I have come across people ever doing it before.

But then my thoughts turned to cats and dogs, which originally where obviously wild animals also, not ever being used to collars, some cats and dogs never get used to collars yet we do it anyway.
Then I thought of the way people view reptiles, the way they often think reptiles are slimey and nasty animals.

Then i thought, u know, maybe people feel that way about reptiles because nobody has domesticated them like cats and dogs have been and they are quite scary looking if you know nothing about them.

So I went to the shop to buy Don a nice carry case which u can see in one of my pics. I got it so if he needs to go to the vet he has something nicer and more comfortable to travel in than a box and i got a name tag engraved to put on a ring attached to the carry case but it went a bit wrong and scratched so the pet shop did me another for free.

This then gave me the idea that when Don is out and about, he can wear a collar so if he does by any chance get lost in or out of the carry case, he has a better chance of being returned to me.
I would never put my reptile through unneccessary surgery, hence why he hasnt been sexed expertly at the vets, so microchipping him is out of the question.

Now one thing i have already noticed is that when don has been to pet shop before he has had some negative looks about him. So I took him to my work place today in case and with collar on and he didnt get one negative response, just questions about what type of lizard he was exactly.

I think the better response to him was due to his 'cute' pink collar and his sparkly name tag. I think it also showed people who i did show him to that reptiles can be lovely, caring pets and not at all scary or slimey. I know not all people will agree with me but then unless any of u have tried both responses yourself, particularly when carrynig a bosc around, u will not be able to judge the variance of response from unexperienced people who havent had reptiles.

Another thing that is interesting to witness is that Don made no attempt to struggle out of the collar, very much unlike a young cat or dog, which leads me to accept in my own experiences and I cant say for every reptile, a collar is suitable for him and makes him much more suitable going outside to the pet shop or the vet as he can be identified if anyone finds him lost.

You don't have to agree with me and you don't have to accept it yourself either. I just want you to think about MY theory for it and have a think about it. I wouldnt consider putting a collar on any of my other reptiles as i dont think of them as completely suitable for it.

Interested to hear your views on it and hope they all wont be negative responses.

Michelle

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think a collar on a large lizard is no bad thing, especially if it doesn't bother him and acts as an identity tag! Plus it probably makes people who don't know about reptiles less wary of him when they meet him, which surely can only be good?!

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well like i said, i didnt get one negative thing said for once about him today, usually people are a bit wary of him but his pink collar seemed to make people think he was cute and harmless.

Ofcourse i warned a little girl who wanted to stroke him that he could bite but said he never has and she happily stroked him and didnt seem bothered at all and a few adults smiled at him. Usually people stand at a distance unless they have had some sort of reptile themselves.

I was impressed by the responses anyway.

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
Yo have asked for peoples opinions so I will give you mine. I hope you can take it without resorting to caqlling me names!

I dont think I have seen something so ridiculous in my all my life! I like you rreasoning behind it you do seem to have thought a lot about it and put you views across in a good way but I really dont agree with it.

I like to the "natural" approach to keeping reptiles. I try to simulate natural(ish) surroundings in the vivs etc. I really cant see any need to put a collar an a reptile what so ever. I would also be worried about it catching on something too.

But if he doesn't mind it and you like then I cant see any problem with it I just dont like it. Reptile are not like cats and dogs in any way shape or form so I wouldn't treat them like one.

So there is my opinion hopefully given in a good way.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I kind of agree with both!!! I prefer keeping animals in natural conditions. But, if a lizard IS going to be taken out and about, I think the security of a collar is no bad thing.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i see cats and dogs as something that originally was wild early down the lines and has just been domesticated in such a way anyway for our pleasure.

To be very broad about it theres isnt even any need for us as normal to keep any animals as pets in the first place except in zoo's for conservation and increasing the population of animals and some people will even say this is unneccessary as thats altering the inevitability of nature.

Reptiles will never be accepted as a proper pet if it is never domesticated that way because people will not see them as appealing unless they are interested in exotic animals originally.

I wouldnt encourage it with all species of course, but Don needs exercise and I want to take him out into the sunshine on sunny days and if he for some reasons gets out of my hands he'll get lost and that would not only be my loss put a possible risk to others and thats unfair.

At least this way he can be returned to me hopefully, as fast as possible, and hopefully stop anything bad happening.

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
Like I say I dont have anything bad against you for doing it but I wouldn't do for various reasons.

I would say that dogs for example have been domesticated over many years its not a case of putting a collar on them as I am sure you will be aware.

Dogs have been domesticated because they are intelligient animals capable of learning to a degree. They still have wild instincts in them i.e. to chase rabbits etc but they have had a lot of the wild instincts bred out of them. Its this capability to learn that seperates them from reptiles amongst other things.

An interesting thought is if you took a captive bred reptile egg and put it back in the wils as soon as it hatched would it know how to survive? I think it would. But the same couldn't be said about cats and dogs.

The point I am trying to make is reptiles will never be domesticated to the degree cats and dogs have because they are very instinctual animals without the capability to learn so much.

Hope that makes sense its the longest post i ever made!

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well boscs are said to be one of the most intelligent of the lizard family so maybe if it is possible, they will show the best from any other reptile.

Its only a collar to identify him by, he doesnt even wear it all the time. I just would rather get him to wear that than get him microchipped.

Its just a cat collar with a stretchy bit so he can easily get out of it if he needs to. If i see a problem with it then i will cease to try it out but so far so good.

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
Well like I say cant see a problem with it if its what you want to do. I dont agree with people putting leashes on their lizards as well but thats my opinion.

Good topic for a discussion though if it stays on track!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Blazey said:
Reptiles will never be accepted as a proper pet if it is never domesticated that way because people will not see them as appealing unless they are interested in exotic animals originally.
I'm not judging the collar thing, that doesn't bother me! Why do reptiles need to be accepted as a proper pet? :? I think maybe it's best they ARE only appealing to people who are interested in exotic animals: that way only people who know what they are doing will keep reptiles. Also, if they become too popular, there will be an increase in the number taken from the wild :(
Another thought is that if we domesticated reptiles, what would they end up looking like?!?! Dog and certainly don't look much like their wild counterparts! :p

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
If putting a collar on a large reptile makes people think its more acceptable and makes them a little more interested I dont see the harm. I can also see the sense in buying a cosy carry case for when you have to take him somewhere.

My question would be why not microchip him? Have you seen microchips being implanted before? You mentioned surgery - all a microchip is is a tiny chip the size of a grain of rice inserted with a needle. Its not painful and the rep wouldnt need an anaesthetic for it. The only issue is whether anyone would think to check a bosc for a microchip.

Having said that how secure is the collar? Is he not likely to lose it somehow if he does escape? Couldnt tell how easy it would be to remove when I saw him the other day.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i just find it a good idea to domesticate animals due to people not wanting us to keep them and if organisations like the rspca keep saying we shouldnt be keeping them as pets then in the future we could very easily face legislation being put into place to stop us keeping them and having to release them to the wild.

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
The chances of us having to release our pets into the wild is very slim! I wonder who would pay for the compensation to us? And the flights for my australian pythons back to Oz and my boa's back to Colombia! But they do want us to stop keeping them but not just reptiles if they had their way we wouldn't keep any pets at all.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well lets just hope not. becuase anyone can suggest it in the future and all it takes is for the mp's and peers to agree to it and it can be done. Think they'd happily spread them out to zoo's across the world to take them out of our hands if they really wanted to. They ship elephants and giraffes, dont see why they're going to hesitate over sending animasl to places they were originally imported from anyway down the line.

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
If they were to start shipping animals back to their "original" lands then I would think there would be about a million cornsnakes for a start. To release them back into their native habitat would have a devastating effect on the whole eco-system. Beleive me its never going to happen. If anything they would call for euthanasing them.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
probably, i never thought of just killing them all. they'd probably only let the rarer species live.

i dont really want to talk about legislation anyway, the thread isnt for that an i hear enough of that at college.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
My opinion is really on the fence here.

i see advantages to Blazeys idea, like being able to easily take a lost rep back to its owner, and a cosy carry case for minimum stress is a very good idea. And i suppose if a larger reptile is very docile and tame, it can go for walks through town, at the same time making people aware of reptiles and what they are like to have as pets.

But the thing is, i can't see a reptile ever becoming as domesticated as a dog or cat, as already said. They are extradinary animals who need special looking after, not just feed twice a day and walks, and also need to be researched and thought over before being committed to one. If they became a popular pet, people may buy them who don't know about their needs and are just getting one for the sake of it.
Now this isn't fair on the reptile and the owner.

Hmmm but i'm still not sure of what i think. Its a good topic this Blazey, realy gets people thinking. :)

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
never said the aim was to domesticate as strongly as a dog or cat anyway, but more domestication will spread awareness to people who only think furry animals make the good pets.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Blazey said:
never said the aim was to domesticate as strongly as a dog or cat anyway, but more domestication will spread awareness to people who only think furry animals make the good pets.
yeh, thats another point that i'm not sure where my opinion lies. I suppose making the awareness of reptiles more clear to people, and teaching people to look into something different rather than a stereotypical cat or dog has its advantages. It just depends how far that may get :?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts