Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has it been known for spiders to have two sacks at the same time

i know spiders sometimes have two one after each other

i got a pokie formosa, and i think i see two egg sacks by her(cant get in too close), it could just be a ball of web, but who knows

cheers Kev: victory:

Reactions: Dr3d

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hi,

its interesting, I experienced two sacs one by one at Psalmopoeus species, but never heard about two sacs same time. Please inform us about how things going, I want to hear about it.

Cheers

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
Has it been known for spiders to have two sacks at the same time

i know spiders sometimes have two one after each other

i got a pokie formosa, and i think i see two egg sacks by her(cant get in too close), it could just be a ball of web, but who knows

cheers Kev: victory:
You cant just post this an not get in close for a looksi lol good luck and like he said above keep us posted on this fella, will be very intresting to find out :)

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
yes it is very possible for spider to have two or even more eggsacs at one time but I do not think it has been recorded in Theraphosidae before. This is very common in many Araneomorphae though. It would be quite a nice observation if its true.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry guys, dont want to disturb her too much, it was bad enough manoeuvering the tank earlier

if i get the chance i will try and get photo, buy not worth risking spids just for a photo

i will post back on this thread any developments

cheers Kev :2thumb:

·
Premium Member
9,692 Posts
I repeat the thoughts of BP.
Ive heard its possible.
Ive never heard of anyone doing so outside US.
Ive certainly never heard of it happening at the same time.
Definitely would make an interesting study.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I suppose it is like making two rollies out of one pinch of tobacco.

I thought that the fixed action patterns of spiders (trues admittedly) drove them to complete a task in a set way. So, if a spider is stopped from making a web, it starts again completely rather than carrying on from where it left off.

I guess the female may have been disturbed while rolling (if this is the case) and that one of the sacs would not be complete in some way.

Just a guess though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts