Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can i put drift wood in my leo gecko viv i got it from in my old fishes fish tank if i can would i have to clean it with something
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,772 Posts
boil it in a pan of water, kills all bacteria, u shouldnt have to use bleach but u could use a very mild one if u wanted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,129 Posts
as blazey said . :D

ive done this with my leo's but u might wona consider blocking up some of the holes

i had a problem with all the crix trying to escape up there and leo's couldnt get them
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,772 Posts
and u should always take ur crickets out at night incase they decide to have a midnight nibble on ur reps, and that is both black and brown crickets.

One of our beardies got bit by a left over cricket overlooked and had to have its poor leg amputated. He's healthier than ever no and a bit more colourful and active but he's still missing a leg thanks to a cricket!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,813 Posts
yeh and being as leos are nocturnal prolly better to take the crix out in the morniong, nt sure, ours is still ickle and we have only had "it" 11 days, still not too sure if hes eating what he should... hes cool though.

Driftwood is class stuff but i too have had trouble with al the holes.
I think to kill germs etc with boiling water it needs to actually be boiled in water for atleast 15 mins not just poured over it.
I only ever clean by using a 10% bleach solution and a good rinse as its easier for me as i can just use a sink or the bath [size of furnishing dependent ofcourse] and you know bleach will kill all the nastys and u also know when its rinsed ok cos u cant smell or taste the bleach anymore.
you can also bake in the oven for about 25 mins but im not sure this is a good idea with wood.... and im not sure what temp it needs to be either, 180 i think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,190 Posts
I have a massive chest freezer, so i also freeze my wood for 48 hours after boiling/bathing, there's not much that can survive boiling-freezing temps in the space of a few minutes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
i always soak it in a bleach solution in the bath for at least over night, then give the wood a good rinse, and rinse with boiling water. then if the pieces are small enough, i dry them out in the oven, checking frequently that the wood isnt burning. extra precautionary measure, make sure all the germy beasties are dead :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,772 Posts
u might as well take the crickets out of the viv at night with leos, just watch them eat and then take leftovers out, better to be safe than sorry. god knows what wouldve happened to spindle if he had been bitten on his belly or head :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,316 Posts
I used to do that with my frogs, but seeing as theyre nocturnal they like to hunt well into the night so now i leave them in with them. Never had any problems with biting but i will watch out for any, thanks.

As for wood, i bake mine at 350 C in the oven until it starts to smell as if its burning, you'll be able to tell when it smells funny but isnt actually burnt. Then while still hot i spray is well with reptile safe disinfectant and leaveit to cool and dry. I then respray it again a few minutes before i pt in it the tank.

I dont like bleach as you never know if its all gone and its toxic, howver i have also been recommended to use baby steralising fluid, like for their bottoles etc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,813 Posts
i think you mean 350 f which i think is about 180-200 c im not all that sure, about the same temp as oven chips yeh? :)
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top